Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Honda Civic: My car acts like its running out of gas, but has

Customer Question

My car acts like its running out of gas, but has plenty of fuel. As I hit 2000rpm thru 3200rpm's the car bogs down and has no acceleration, and is slow to accelerate past that point no matter how hard I push the accelerator. When I leave a light or stop sign, with the engine warmed up it does this...although when it is cold it does not. I have been told that it could most likely be the fuel pump, and have one available as well as a new FPR which I am being told could be the problem as well. All the research I have done in the past month is leading to dead ends, and do not really have time to diagnose it myself anymore like I used to with working two jobs and I have a 3 year old at home. Need some help, my only car and I can not afford to buy a new one right now.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** sounds like you have a clogged catalytic converter. Completely remove front oxygen sensor to relieve exhaust pressure, if this allows rpm to rev up good you know the converter is clogged. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a brand new magnaflow oe direct fit replacement converter and brand new Bosch o2 sensors less than 3 month old, could that really be causing the problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Was converter replaced because it was clogged? Did problem slowly get worse or come out of no where?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is slowly getting worse by the day, especially if I don't drive it for a day. I have had a lot of work done...timing belt job done by Honda with valve adjustment, NGK plugs and wires, new cap/rotor/igniter/coil, cam and crank seal, battery and terminals, and the converter with the new sensors. even after all that, I have maybe 6000 miles on the plugs and they are burnt up already. tips are black
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and I had p0420 and 430 I think, both we're relates to the sensors and the cat so I just did them both
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like converter is clogged which can happen if engine is burning too much fuel, oil, or coolant. I'd definitely try to remove oxygen sensors to see if that helps. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Those codes usually mean the converter has failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would the codes trip the cel if it is the problem again? and wouldn't there be some reason the engine is allowing the fuel or oil to escape into the exhaust in the first place to clog the cat again? the car only has a 155k on it
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If you were going through oil you would know it, same with coolant. If you had a oxygen sensor problem after replacing converter it could have caused new converter to clog. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so maybe the new o2 sensors I had installed were bad in the first place? both were out of the box as well as the cat. it ran great after the timing was done, had Honda recheck it twice since all this was going on. what could I use in place of the converter to test it out for a week? I am in Georgia so no emissions worries. maybe a test pipe would work?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
A test pipe would work fine and would probably be a good idea until your able to verify the fuel consumption issue is fixed. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after I had all the work done I went from getting 280 miles to a tank to getting 330-340. hopefully this is the problem, I will order a test pipe and see if my fuel consumption improves back to where it was. thank you for the help, I will install it when it gets in and maybe install my dual bend short throw while I'm under the car. give me a reason to upgrade, lol
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, keep me updated on how it turns out. Sounds like your already getting decent gas mileage so I'd monitor oil consumption and coolant consumption. Thanks again and have a good evening!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you too, how do I look you up to update you?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can reply to this link the same way you are now. Thanks.