HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Civic: I just bought a 2004 Civic hybrid stick shift and was

Customer Question

I just bought a 2004 Civic hybrid stick shift and was lied to by sellers big time as the car would not start once I tried to leave for home. I just had a diagnostic done on the car and the following codes came up even though there were never any dash/idiot lights on: The first code is P1600 IMA System Malfunction. The 2nd code is P0420 1. Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold, 2. Catalyst B1 Deterioration, and 3. Catalyst B1 Efficiency Below Threshold. The 3rd code is P1433 - The DTC Definition is not available; please visit www.innova.com. Could you please advise me as to the causes of these codes and what repairs would need to be done? Thanks.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I have an experienced mechanic that has worked on hybrids but I would like to know from you if you could give me an estimate as to what it will cost to have these repairs made and if it is even worth it as the car has 97,500 miles on and I paid $3,900 for it.
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.
the p1433 code is specific for a new IMA battery. and the p0420 which is a failed catalytic converter and the p1600 is a generic code which is related to the codes stored.
the IMA battery is pretty expensive and will be around 3000 for the new battery installed.the catalytic converter will be around 1200
may I ask your vin # ***** I can run it to see if their is any recalls or extensions on the IMA battery also how many miles on the car now ?