Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a Red Honda Civic 2007 and the paint is all blotched

Customer Question

I have a Red Honda Civic 2007 and the paint is all blotched and is fading to a chalky white, Is that normal for a paint job?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
That is not normal for the paint to do that.
Ok, technically it was not a recall, but rather a warranty extension, that extended the warranty to 7yrs, unlimited mileage, and only applied to certain colors as described in the warranty extension documentation, that I have uploaded here, and red is not one of the listed colors.
Being that it is a known issue, although red is not included, you need to contact Honda American Corporate offices at 1-***-***-**** for help on this, as in addition to the red not being on the list, you are past the 7yrs by one year.
14-034
September 23, 2014
ATB 51745-52666 REV2 (1409)
Warranty Extension: 2006-13 Civic Paint Cracking, Chalking, or
Clouding
Supersedes 14-034, dated June 12, 2014, to revise the information highlighted in yellow and with asterisks
(Replaces 12-049, Warranty Extension: Civic Hood Paint Cracking and 13-060, Warranty Extension: Civic Roof and Trunk Paint Chalking or Clouding)
AFFECTED VEHICLES
REVISION SUMMARY
*The photograph retention policy under PHOTO REQUIREMENTS was changed.*
BACKGROUND
There are two bulletins that address paint cracking, chalking or clouding.
^ SB 14-033, Warranty Extension: 2006-08 Civic Paint Cracking, Chalking, or Clouding, which covers some 2006-08 vehicles. This bulletin provides a grace period for vehicles where the warranty expired before American Honda was able to notify some customers of the warranty extension. This bulletin will expire on 9/30/14 because the vehicles will no longer be eligible for repair under this warranty extension.
^ SB 14-034, Warranty Extension: 2006-13 Civic Paint Cracking, Chalking, or Clouding. Vehicles covered under this bulletin will have the warranty on their paint extended to 7 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit.
This warranty extension applies to some 2006-13 Civics that are painted the following colors:
^ B-92P - Nighthawk Black Pearl
^ B-529P - Fiji Blue Pearl
^ B-536P - Royal Blue Pearl
^ B-537M - Atomic Blue Metallic
^ B-561P - Dyno Blue Pearl
^ NH-701M - Galaxy Gray Metallic
^ NH-731P - Crystal Black Pearl
^ NH-737M - Polished Metal Metallic
^ YR-578M - Urban Titanium Metallic
^ B-586P - Dyno Blue Pearl II (2012 model only)
The exterior paint on the hood and the leading edge of the front fenders may crack or look chalky or cloudy. Also the roof, trunk, upper portions of the quarter panel, and the upper portions of the doors may look chalky or cloudy. American Honda is extending the warranty on the paint of the affected vehicles to 7 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit. This warranty extension does not apply to other paint issues like rock chips, scratches, bird droppings, sap, etc.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to see if the customer is eligible. American Honda will update this bulletin and the iN VIN status when this warranty extension on all early production vehicles has expired.
This warranty extension only applies to factory-applied paint.
The warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded or similar title under any states law.
Only panels outlined in the Operation Numbers and only if they exhibit a problem should be repaired. All paint repairs MUST have DPSM approval before starting work.
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will receive a notification of this warranty extension. Before doing work on a vehicle, verify its eligibility by doing an iN VIN status inquiry.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Inspect the vehicle and, if necessary, repaint the entire affected panel(s) with an isocyanate two-part color and clearcoat paint after obtaining DPSM approval.
PARTS INFORMATION
If you need to replace any moldings or windshield clips, reference the parts catalog for the applicable part numbers, and submit them in your warranty claim.
TOOL INFORMATION
PHOTO REQUIREMENTS
^ Submit photos for each affected area. Refer to Service Bulletin 10-002, Photos for Warranty Paint Repair Claims.
^ You must submit clear photos showing the affected areas, close ups, and a photo of the door jamb label that shows the VIN. If the photos are not approved by your DPSM, your claim may be debited.
^ Take photos of every affected area and save them with the repair order (R.O.) for 36 months. If American Honda requests the photos and they were not saved, your claim may be debited.
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
^ Enter the paint thickness measurements from INSPECTION PROCEDURE step 4 in the DTC fields.
^ For help submitting a paint claim using LONs, refer to the Claims Reference Guide under Special Claims Procedure.
^ Under the Personal Information section of the warranty claim template, enter technician number E090000, which is a generic number to be used with this warranty extension only.
NOTE:
Flat Rates include compensation for paint and material; it is not necessary to calculate any materials or paint costs for the claim. Make sure you enter the three paint measurements in the DTC fields of the warranty entry screen.
INSPECTION PROCEDURE
1. Check the paint code label on the drivers door jamb to make sure the paint code is one of the following:
^ B-92P - Nighthawk Black Pearl
^ B-529P - Fiji Blue Pearl
^ B-536P - Royal Blue Pearl
^ B-537M - Atomic Blue Metallic
^ B-561P - Dyno Blue Pearl
^ NH-701M - Galaxy Gray Metallic
^ NH-731P - Crystal Black Pearl
^ NH-737M - Polished Metal Metallic
^ YR-578M - Urban Titanium Metallic
NOTE:
If the paint code is not listed above, this bulletin does not apply.
2. Clean the vehicle, then bring it inside a shop with overhead lighting. Do not try to inspect the vehicle in sunlight as the suns intensity may affect the ability to see any potential damage.
3. Inspect the affected areas of the vehicle for cracking, chalky, or cloudy paint. If the paint appears like the pictures shown, go to step 4.
^ If the damage looks like one of the following below, this bulletin does not apply.
4. You must measure the paint thickness in at least three different areas of the affected panels as shown using a magnetic pull-off gauge or an electronic paint thickness gauge to make sure it was applied by the factory. Average these measurements and write down the result on the R.O. You will need this value to submit the warranty claim.
NOTE:
If you do not have a gauge to measure the paint thickness, it will be necessary for you to borrow one from your dealer body shop or the independent body shop you send work to. The paint thickness measurements are required for each warranty claim. Gauges were sent to each dealer around September 2012.
The factory paint thickness should be between 4 and 5 mil (100 to 125 microns). If it is thicker, the paint may not be factory applied. When you contact your DPSM for approval, inform them that the paint is thicker than 5 mil. After receiving DPSM approval, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
Cracked Paint
1. Using best body shop techniques, properly mask the vehicle to avoid overspray.
NOTE:
The cracking paint will only affect the hood and one fender or, in some cases, both fenders.
3. Remove the cracked paint by sanding the affected area of the hood and one or in some cases both front fenders down to the metal.
4. Prime and repaint the affected area(s) using an isocyanate two-part and clearcoat paint. Make sure the paint is blended in to match the other panels and the bumper.
Chalky or Cloudy Paint
2. Remove the chalky or cloudy areas by sanding the affected area(s).
NOTE:
If there is any chalky or cloudy paint on the hood or the top of one fender or, in some cases, both front fenders, sand the paint down to the metal.
3. Repaint the affected area(s) using an isocyanate two-part color and clearcoat paint. Make sure the paint is blended in to match the other panels.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks