Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Crv: My 2002 crv has clonking sound at the rear look over but

Customer Question

My 2002 crv has clonking sound at the rear look over but could not see anything wrong
Category: Honda
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Are there certain times more than others that it make this noise?
Probably just going over bumps??
Looks like i just missed you so i will go ahead and tell you what the most common thing that makes this noise is.
On the rear struts there are bushings at the top strut mounting base and once they get worn it will make a noise like you described. If the struts are original its best to have the struts replaced along with a real good inspection of that whole assembly on the top of the strut. The problem is that it's very difficult for you to tell if the bushings are worn with the strut in the car and it has to be removed to take all the pressure off of it so you can feel it for any movement.
If it has over 100K miles on the car, you will probably end up replacing the struts and bushings on both sides to correct the noise.
As you can imagine it's hard for me to be 100% on this because i cant look at it from here but it is the most common part that makes that noise.
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it is all the time even just going over normal road as you know they are not all perfect. But on a run like duel carrage way it it good not much sound at all but thanks I will change the rear struts. with all components. And see how it goes
You are very welcome. I am quite sure it will take care of the noise!
Larry
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
No rating?
Did you have another question?
I'm here to help you.
LJ