Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Odessey: I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey. The radio shut on and

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey. The radio shut on and off today while driving and the VSA and other dashboard lights flashed for a second on and off. The power dropped for a second then resumed like normal. The battery is about 6 months old but looks like it has a lot of corrosioin at the connection point for the positive terminal. Should I try to clean the terminals before anything else?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.I would start by cleaning the battery terminals and battery posts. That may be your problem but I have seen problems with the alternators. This is a fairly common problem with your generation Odyssey. The alternator can fail to charge intermittently without a warning light. When this happens you'll get all kinds of strange behavior from the electrical devices. One symptom is a humming or wine from the alternator. The noise will usually increased slightly when the engine RPMs are increased. If cleaning the battery posts and terminals does not help I would have the charging system tested. Just so you know many times it will test okay because the problem can be intermittent. The main indicator of a bad alternator isn't always I mentioned before. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Sorry tried to edit "The main indicator of a bad alternator isn't always I mentioned before." It should read: The main indicator of a bad alternator is the noise I mentioned before.