Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX 4cylinder sedan with an electrical

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX 4cylinder sedan with an electrical problem. If you don't
Drive it every day the battery will go dead after 2 to 3 days. I have a new battery. If I
Disconnect the negative post then it will stay up . Everything electrical on the car seems
To work and no sign of a problem.
Do you have any suggestions on what I should start to find the problem .
Thank You,
Jeff
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome Jeff to JustAnswer. Your problem is caused by an excessive parasitic draw. There is a normal amount from the clock, radio station memory, and control unit memory. If something else is staying on it will run the battery down. The most common cause is a sticking A/C compressor relay. It draws enough to run the battery down in 2-3 days. You can try removing the relay to see if that's the problem. The best way to find the draw is with an ammeter. The normal draw is under 50 milliamps anything over is considered excessive. Most of the time the draw is around 35 milliamps. Video on how to perform a parasitic draw test. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man