Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

Element: Honda Element, 2006, Man Trans, 112,000 miles. The

Customer Question

Honda Element, 2006, Man Trans, 112,000 miles. The car intermittently stalls, stutters. Mechanics cannot make this happen when they test drive the car. Gas mileage has fallen 10-15% also. Spark plugs were replaced at 109K. Have used Techron and top tier fuel since car was new (1 owner). Any suggestions to prevent the stalling and improve mileage?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand why the answer is taking so long. It has been several hours. I will check back tomorrow, I guess. Thank you.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. I am sorry that nobody has gotten to you sooner, but I would like to help with this. Did you still want some assistance with this? If you do please allow me some time to respond if I am not online when you return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need a response now but will look for it in the morning- about 7 hours from now. Thanks. Good night. LJL
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will communicate more with you tomorrow, but I will add some of my thoughts and some questions that I have. I would like to know if the check engine light is coming on? That will help me to determine what is going on. It sounds to me like it either has an issue with the variable valve timing system, which is commonly the solenoid, but it can also be an issue with the fuel system. I would also like to know if the vehicle is all up to date on its maintenance as well as its tune up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're back. Sorry for the delay. 90k tuneup done. Titanium plug change at 109k. No valve adjustment yet. All other maint done religiously. Top tier gas only and Techron added every 2k miles since 90k. Stalling ceased for 6 mo. 3+k miles after so plugs but has returned. Recently CEL came on and then went out after filling tank. gas odor through vents also after last tank fill. Stalling persists now. Mechanics can not make the stalling occur.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There also was a thorough check for vacuum leaks two days ago. One was found and fixed but stalling still persists.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stalling is at low speeds sometimes when turning but not always. Stalling occurs both with "cold" engine and warm (10 min running) but not hot (20 min+ running). Smelling gas has only occurred once not every stall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any information or suggestions for this stalling problem?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I was unavailable earlier. If you have not gotten the valves adjusted then I would definitely have that done as it will cause this. It may also be a sensor reading issue. Do you have a scan tool that reads live engine data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mechanics will be scanning but don't they have to experience the stall before they will get a fault code? They are cleaning the throttle body tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not continue this after bed time. Please respond during the day.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
When they scan while driving they needs to monitor the fuel trim readings to see if the computer is demanding more or less fuel. That will help to diagnose what is going on. Cleaning the throttle body can help also.