Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Honda Accord: I have a 97 Accord 2.2 VTEC IT has several codes

Customer Question

I have a 97 Accord 2.2 VTEC IT has several codes that I wrote down and then cleared but have missed placed the list. I do remember several of them. Misfire detected on cyl 3&4, random misfire detected, P0170, P0171, and one that said catalyst threshold was below level , and one that said there was a leak at I think it was the emission canister but not sure. there was also another code but I think Itook care of that one by replacing fuel cap. The car will start but will idle very rough for a while. when you go to accelerate it bogs down a lot to the point it wont accelerate or increase engine rpm if you accelerate at just the right amount it will go and will do just fine until you stop or let off the gas completely holding your foot on brake and gas at the same time helps at reds lights but im sure is not good for the engine or trans
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have replaced both o2 sensors but that did not help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to find the proper codes
P0304,P0303,P1300. I believe all these have to do with the misfire condition. I have replaced all plugs and checked all for spark, seem to all be firing.
The other codes are
P0170, P0171, P0420, P1457, P1399 . Not sure if any of these are related or all caused by separate problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a problem in the question or does it need to be more specific? Seems to be taking a long time for a response today.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for responding. I do still need your help. I will be at work until 3:30 central but will be working on it after that. Please offer any fixes you can thing if and I can get get started on the repairs. Please let me know if you need more info.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am available to start when you are
On all of these codes have you done the diag steps, if not do you need those?While idling can you feel it misfiring? If so can you disable cylinders one by one with plug removal or injector unplugging to see if it runs the same or worse?Do you own a scan tool that can check fuel trims?If you remove the upper O2 sensor and take it for a shirt test drive is the power back, if so then your converter threshold code is accurate, the converter is restricted.Have you checked for vacuum leaks? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not seen or felt any vacumn leaks the hoses all look pretty good. My scan tool has some live data but I'm not sure if it will check that. I am heading down to check it now. I will report back in a few
Vacuum leaks have to be checked with flammable spray, like brake cleaner sprayed in short bursts around all hoses and the intake. If there is a leak, when sprayed the rpms will increase.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I can get some. On my scan tool it shows bank 1 sensor fluctuations betwen .07 and 1.1 and sensor 2 is between .78 and .80. Both show STFT OF 17,9%. Not sure what that means
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected injectors one at a time. Each time the engine would idle rough
As long as the fuel trim reading was at operating temp. It is outside the +/- 10 limits which means the O2 sensors are showing the engine running lean which means the computer is telling the injectors to spray for a longer time to counter-react. I think checking for leaks still should be next.