HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Civic: A/C compressor will not engage. Checked high and low

Customer Question

A/C compressor will not engage. Checked high and low pressures, and found to be normal, about 80psi on each side with engine off at about 65-70 degrees f. fed voltage and ground directly to a/c clutch and compressor would not engage. Scanner also would not turn clutch on and off when commanded.
Replaced compressor and recharged.
A/C compressor still does not come on on its own, but the clutch on the new compressor DOES engage when commanded by the scanner and when feeding power and ground to the clutch like I did on the old compressor.
Checked codes and found p0533 for a/c pressure sensor high input. Erased code. Code did not come back. PID for a/c pressure sensor is 1.33v currently, though diagnosis indicates this code set when voltage is above 4.76 for 10+ seconds.
Checked black/ground wire at a/c pressure sensor and have good ground.
With a/c pressure sensor disconnected, checked pin 3, red wire and found 5 volts. Checked pin 2, green wire, and found 1.3 volts.
Do I have a bad pressure sensor? related to the compressor failure? Any diagnostic help would be appreciated
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Go to the 3 pin compressor connector. I need you to check pins 1 and 3 of that connector with it plugged up, engine running, and a/c switch ON. Note that on the diagram I provided that the wire colors could be different between models so pay close attention the the wire colors you are checking. Let me know what voltage is present on both of these wires.