Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Honda Civic: I have a 2002 honda civic lx that the ac

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2002 honda civic lx that the ac compressor kicks in once I push ac button and quit immediately after few seconds, charge is good, relays are good, where should I start, I even replaced switch and still same
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Does the heater blower motor(fan) run on all speeds and after the compressor kicks off?Are there any other electrical problems? Instrument cluster brake indicator stay on etc?Do you know what the system pressures(low and high side) do when it kicks off?Have you checked the compressor clutch to see if it has power after it kicks off? Thanks! Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Blower motor stays on, no electrical issues, dont know pressure hi and lo side, if I connect a wire from negative of battery to three way power connection of compressor it stays on allnthe time and ill be unable to turn it off with switch,

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried o jumper the pressure switch? What wire are you grounding on the connector? Is the wiring red to red or blue/white to red at the 3 wire connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Grounding red, I tried jumping pressure switch

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
So you back probed and grounded the red wire where I circled the diagram?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the wire i refered to is a three wire plug that connects power to compresser, has a red wire inthe connection

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
That's the 3 wire connector in the diagram. It is just separated for the diagram. The red wire runs to the heater panel, the panel grounds the wire to turn on the compressor. Try grounding the red wire at the pressure switch connector to see if the same thing happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes same thing happens

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
So the compressor came on? Just need to be sure. If it did go to the connector behind the center console(see picture). Jump to ground the blue wire in the 4 wire connector. Leave it connected just like you did at the compressor red wire. The wire color changes from red to blue at this connector C502. I am having you trace the wire down up to the heater panel. Maybe it's disconnected at this connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ill try that in the morning,

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The picture u refer to c501 and connecter behind it is a two wire connecter, or are u refering to connecter on topof c501

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
The one behind C501 is C502 it's a 4 wire connector but can have only 2 wires in the connector. The coupe has 4 wires and the sedan has only 2 wires, 2 spots are empty. It's the blue wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I jumped wire and ac compressor come on , what is next

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
OK , unplug the connector you just jumped the wire at. Test the continuity(resistance) of the blue wire as the A/C button is pressed on and off. If your meter has a tone for the continuity test that will work. Test on the heater control panel side it's the male terminal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I unplugged the connecter and placed my tester giving ground on blue wire, ac compressor runs with button on and off ,

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
I was wanting you to test the ground on the other side of the connector. The test will see if the power button is providing a good ground. You will be checking continuity or resistance. Test the wire that goes to the switch not to the compressor. It's the ohms setting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

U had mentioned the male connecter , I unplugged and gave ground to blue wire on the male side of connector, and ac runs, another thing I wonna mention I replaced control switch before

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I only have a tester

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
My diagram shows the male connector but it can be female. The panel power button provides a ground just like when you ground the wire and the compressor runs. If the compressor keeps running when you ground it but not when the button is pressed there is a poor ground for the control panel button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does that power button have a relay or fuse somewhere

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
No it is grounded behind the heater panel in a common ground location for a variety of devices. The button supplies a ground not power. When you press the button it grounds the wire just like when you use the probe to make the compressor work. In the image you will see the location of the ground for the A/C button. It's behind the glove box on the rt side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ground seems ok, any other suggestions..

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Can you get a ohmmeter? If the compressor will run with the wire to the switch grounded that proves the problem is between C502 and G502.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ll get ohm meter and get back to u, at this point I am all in I dont wonnangive up, you ve been extremely helpfull I trully appreciate it

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
No problem, we are close to having an answer.