Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Accord: D4 flashing trouble codes p1259p1738-0730p1751 2002

Customer Question

D4 flashing trouble codes p1259p1738-0730p1751 2002 accord with 168k miles
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Is your Accord a V6 or 4Cyl. Engine?Have you tried anything yet?Are you planning on doing the repairs yourself or having a repair shop do the work? Thank You! Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4cyl trying to find the service connector to see what code the flashing d4 gives meId like to do it myself if possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drove vehicle 50 miles to work this am started a mile from office and then on way home had issues not going into higher gear
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
OK, sorry to hear about your trouble. The codes most likely mean the transmission has failed. Your generation of Accord has the worst record for transmission failures. The scan tool reads the transmission codes from the OBD2 connector just like engine codes. There is not a separate connector to jump.P1738: Problem in transmission 2nd Clutch Pressure Switch Circuit. Code P0730: Problem in transmission Shift Control System. Code P1751: Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System for Shift Solenoid Valve B and A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valves A and B, or Problem in Hydraulic Control System. Code P1259 is a VTEC pressure switch code. Oil level or a bad pressure switch are common failures. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SO it would just fail like that I can still drive it but just wont go into higher gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its possible its not a complete failure then . that a component just failed ?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
P1751: Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System for Shift Solenoid Valve B and A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valves A and B, or Problem in Hydraulic Control System. This code is a bad one so is P0730: Problem in transmission Shift Control System. Before the codes will set the transmission needs to fail mechanically meaning it's slipping or the hydraulic pressure is low. Once this happens the excessive heat generated when it slips will take out the rest of the transmission. I have replaced well over a(###) ###-####02 Accord transmissions in the 4cyl model alone. Whenever these 2 codes are present the transmission is on it's way out. Sooner than later it will fail completely leaving you stranded. In our dealership we were on a rotation replacing transmissions so it was fair. Sorry again I hate giving this news. Thanks again, Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much would you say to replace it and is it worth it
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
A used transmission is risky so I would avoid that. Re-manufactured ones run $995-1200 labor is aprox $600. Total cost is aprox $1800 parts and labor. Rebuilding yours at a trans shop is a little less but not much. If your Accord was in excellent shape with a good transmission it worth approx $3700. If it's in average condition it's worth approx $3000. This info is based on Kelly Blue Book value.Thanks again.~Honda-Man