HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I have a 2003 Honda civic lx and I had to replace the clutch

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Honda civic lx and I had to replace the clutch line going from the master cylinder to connection on the right side of the engine compartment because it was rusted and started leaking. The pedal now easily drops to the floor and I have to pull it back up. I tried the bleeding procedure you are talking about, attached a hose to the slave bleeder and put it in a bottle of fluid on the ground and kept the reservoir filled as I pumped the pedal. After 30 pumps I would refill the reservoir and keep pumping and I did this for 60 minutes or so and closed the bleeder before I disconnected the hose. My pedal still drops with no resistence. I have no leaks from the master or slave cylinders. Any thoughts?
Category: Honda
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, use this method .air gets trapped in the system and no amount of bleeding really helps.sometimes gravity bleeding will help-that is open the bleeder and let the fluid run into a container ,keeping you eye on the reservoir and keeping it filled .some reservoirs have a rubber cup in them ,so if you take that out you have more room for more fluidwith that said -most reservoir caps have a small vent hole in the middle of the cap.you can use a handheld vacuum pump and hold the suction hose over the small vent hole pressing it on the holepump it about 4-5 times( that is the vacuum pump not the clutch pedal) and you should see the fluid drop ,(don't over fill the cup just about 7/8 full.add more fluid if the level dropped and repat this about 3-4 x .this will pull any trapped air in the system.using the pumping the pedal may not always get the trapped air out ,when you pump the pedal that air actually stays in a place that that bleeding method won't push out ,it actually goes right past the air pocket ..jazzmaster .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried gravity bleeding. Fluid came out when I pumped the pedal only. Still didn't Work. Am I pushing air or sucking it with the hand pump? I don't have a hand pump. Will a shop vac work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My reservoir cap doesn't have a hole in it.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
you are sucking with the vacuum pump.
and no a shop vac won't work.
I believe that you can get one at an auto parts store through the loan-a-tool .
so ,when you opened the bleeder to gravity bleed the fluid did not run out or drop out the bleeder valve ?
when you rent a vacuum pump there will be an adapter that fits over the reservoir in the vacuum pump kit ..jazzmaster ..
I have used the vacuum pump method many times and it did suck the trapped air out .
as I said you may have to do that several times to get all the air out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ended up getting a hand pressure pump and hooked it to the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. I get non stop bubbles and it fills the cannister but pressure at the clutch pedal never increases. I have someone filling the master cylinder resevoir while I pump. I have filled the cannister with fluid approx 10 times and the bubbles never decreases, they just keep coming. I have checked for leaks and have none.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
you have to pull the air from the reservoir .
so you need an adapter to fit on that .
look to see of there is a tiny vent hole in the cap that is on it now .
then you hold the hose from the vacuum pump tight over and against the hole .
the reservoir should be filled but not to the top and then hand pump the vacuum.
you will or should see the fluid level go down a little .
you may have to do this a few times ,to get all the air out ..jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
did that vacuum method work for the clutch ?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, I am just checking back to see if I helped you ?
thank you ..jazzmaster ..