Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

CRV 4wd: Working on a 2002 Honda CRV with the 2.4.engine, found

Customer Question

Working on a 2002 Honda CRV with the 2.4.engine, found cam timing on the rear camshaft gear is out 90°. With this having the i-Vtech, it seems to be very difficult to turn the camshaft to bring it into alignment. I need to turn the shaft roughly one quarter turn clockwise with the chain off to align it. The other timing marks are lined up properly. Do I need to loosen up the rocker arms or anything else to turn the shaft, or do I need to turn the shaft counter-clockwise to be able to align it?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Most likely one of the opening valves is hitting a piston. If you turn the cam without turning the crank at the same time the valves will open and hit the top of the stationary piston. If you force the cam it can bend the valves. You might be able to loosen the valves that are trying to open or are open. I turn the crank slightly with the cam to lower the piston down. Once the cams are close alternately turn everything back to TDC a little at a time. It doesn't take much so the cam will turn and the valves will clear the piston. There is a hex cast into the cams that will make turning them easier. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a spot I can turn the crank to that will make it easy to turn the cam a quarter turn without anything binding?

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
You can use a socket and long extension with a breaker bar to turn by the crank pulley bolt. The image shows a holding tool to loosen the bolt just disregard that part. It's also for the wrong vehicle but shows what I mean. Thanks!
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
There is a hole in the splash shield that can be seen if the wheel is turned all the way to the right. Put the socket through the hole in the shield.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already have the timing car cover off, and have been using the pulley with a special tool tio turn the crank. I had that very close before I took the cover off. I guess I'll have to experiment by turning the engine a little tio even out the pistons in their bore.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you are doing it correctly. It just takes a bit of patience and timing.