HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Vue: I can turn my engine by hand without the timing belt fitted.

Customer Question

I can turn my engine by hand without the timing belt fitted. I have now fitted a new timing belt and did the alignment with the proper aligning tool, i am now trying to rotate the engine 2 times to check my alignment, the engine will now trun. Can you help me with this problem.
Category: Honda
Expert:  CarNo7 replied 1 year ago.
Did you mean the engine wont turn? Can you tell me what kind of vehicle and engine. The engine should be easy to turn and then get difficult to turn with the timing belt on the engine. The reason for this is, as you are turning the engine you are building compression in the cylinders, it will be difficult to turn until that cylinder passes top dead center, then will become difficult again as the next cylinder approaches top dead center. With all that being said, Im assuming that you have correctly installed the timing belt and the sparkplugs still installed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have stated it in my setup, iuts a 2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0 I have timed the engine with the special tool all timing marks are align i am now trying to turn engine 2 full turns to check the alignment agin, please not spark plugs have been removed to enable me to turn the engine more freely with less compression. the engine is jam it wont turn by hand. Please also note with the belt off the engine turn perfectly. I only have this problem when i refit the timing belt.
Expert:  CarNo7 replied 1 year ago.
All apologies, you are in the Honda section, but I do have experience with Saturn. This situation is simple, if the spark plugs are removed, and the the engine will not turn over, the timing is off. The piston are hitting the valves not allowing the engine to spin. Make sure the crankshaft is at top dead center one the #1 cylinder. I have attached a picture to help show you where the marks should be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All that you have suggested i have done including following the timing marks in the picture you posted. The engine is on top dead center #1 cylinder. When i remove the special tools from the cam shaft sprockets and camshaft tool to the water pump i then began to rotate the engine its just jam. if you are not an expert on Saturn V6 3.0 can you put me to a saturn expert urgently as I need this job to be completed ASAP. (What position should be the cam shaft lubes facing on top dead center)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi CAR NO7Let me start all over. I got this 2003 Satirm VUE V6 3.0 as non starter. The engine then crank but backfires. I took the front cover off and check the timing.I found that the timing did not line up even, when i had the engine on TDC. I then loosen the cam cap and turn it to where the cam sprocket line up with the rear cover mark. I bought the timing tool set and retime the engine with all marks line up. I then try to rotate the engine clockwise and was jamed- the spark plugs are out. This happen when the timing belt is fitted to the cam gears. The engine will turn with the belt off. Therefore i am thinking I may have a problem on the head or cam. I am very frustrated please help.