HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Fk3: , I have a question about a honda civic 5d 2006

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question about a honda civic 5d 2006 2.2 diesel left side steering wheel (fk3).. About 6 years ago I had an accident and the driver and passenger airbags blew off aling with the seatbelt tensioners and the other explosive devices on the seatbelts (the ones with balls inside). The left impact sensor was also damaged.
I had a friend who was dismantling his civic from personal reasons (no crash) and I bought the srs unit, seatbelts, airbags, impact sensors, steering wheel ring and dashboard..
I replaced them all, read the erors shorting between pins 4 and 9 in dlc and found codes 10-2 and 4-1 repeating. Tried to reset the srs unit with the mes connector, got the two blinks but the same codes came back after.. I found on internet more versiins of these codes but most of them were 10-2 = driver airbag deployed and 4-2 open ot high resistance in passenger seatbelt tensioner.. Checked the resistance in all the replaced parts and I get from2.4 to 2.7 ohms... On the internet I found the value should be 2-2.2 ohms and i boughr resistors and replaced all these with resistors... Same codes... Am I looking in the right places? Now I'm thinking to buy a new srs unit but it's kind of expensive and if I blow it....
Thank you for your advices.
Bogdan.
Category: Honda
Expert:  CarNo7 replied 1 year ago.
I hope I can help. Lets start off with some SRS basic rules. Never OHM anything on a SRS system..Never. This can cause unwanted deployment. Secondly. Never add, modify,change, splice, cut, solder any part of the SRS System. With that being said whenever there is any kind of deployment of a SRS system, there are a list of parts that must be replaced depending on what what parts deployed during the collision. This list can be found in any Honda service manual, or a Honda Dealership can provide that list. More than that, there are sometimes different SRS component manufactures and those must be matched as well. After any collision the one of the components replaced is the SRS control unit. It literally can be a matter of life and death, that you properly repair the SRS system and follow the service manual exactly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With all due respect sir, how does that help me? If I could have aforded 3000+ euro to unjustifyingly give to Honda, I would have but I don't...
As I previously said, first time I replaced all the components that came to mind with ones that I knew were good. Same manufacturer and everything. And yes, srs unit too. Seing that this doesn't help, I started looking on the internet for free advices and I found a lot of them but useless in my case. Now I'm paying for those advices and seems like nothing changes... So, any ideea other than paying huge amount for most probably very simple things? I think you imagine that if Honda will have to change, for example, the crash sensor, they will also charge me 2 new airbags, a new srs unit and who knows..maybe 2 headlight bulbs although they only change one crash sensor.
I do not want to be mean or anything but I have some realy sad experiences with car dealers.
So, not to deviate, any usefull advice? What to check, what to try?
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't bother anymore, I bought a diagnose device and I found the problem(s).. Loose wire behind the inner fuse pannel (fuse 11) and different resistances in the front impact sensors (one had 2kohm and one 9kohm). Fixed the wire, replaced the sensors, reset srs unit and bingo!