Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My 98 honda CR-V with 173k miles randomly stalls when driving.

Customer Question

my 98 honda CR-V with 173k miles randomly stalls when driving. It will start slowing down and then stop and then oil and battery light will be on. I will have to wait about 5 minuets before I can start it again. My mechanic couldn't find any codes stored nor anything wrong with it.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. The problem you describe is usually caused by either a bad ignition control module(ICM) or the ignition coil. Both parts are inside of the distributor housing. When either part heats up it can fail and cause a stalling no-start problem. Once the defective part cools down it will usually start and run again. Eventually it will fail completely and not restart. If your mechanic can't get it to act up you may need to leave it with them until it does. If you want to attempt a repair I would have the coil and ICM replaced. The spark plugs should be inspected and replaced if they are worn. Worn spark plugs can lead to the failure of the ignition coil again. There is a recall for a stalling problem too I need to mention. Your 98 CR-V was part of a ignition switch recall. This recall should have been done a long time ago since it came out in 2002. The symptoms are for random stalling similar to what you are experiencing now. In this case it's like the ignition switch was shut off, instrument cluster lights will go off when it stalls. In most cases it will try to start after this happens but just while the key is being released. After the ignition switch cools down it will start then run until it happens again. To see if the ignition switch recall has been done click HERE. Enter your VIN to look for any open recalls. If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Please remember to rate or accept my advice. I will still help after the rating. Thank You, Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no recall for my vehicle, it must've been done before I got it in 2009.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
OK, well that leaves the ignition coil or ignition control module as the most likely suspect. I have replace these parts for your problem many times with success. If the repair shop can get it to stall then check for spark it will narrow down the cause to the parts I have suggested.