sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Engine always vibrating, makes weird noise when accelerates

Customer Question

Engine always vibrating, makes weird noise when accelerates and hesitation
Category: Honda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

There are quite a few things that could be causing the issue but it sounds like you may have a mechanical issue in the engine. If the engine is missing, vibration and is making an abnormal noise then you may have something like a failed valvespring.

What year, model and engine is the vehicle?

Has anything been done to try to repair it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002 Acura rsx, k20a3 I believe. I've changed the spark plugs, the oil, the air filter, nothing seems to make it better. When I ran seafoam through my pcv hose it seemed to make it better for a little bit but then it's still getting worse. Would my cv joints or bearings make this problem?
Do you know what fault codes are setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was throwing codes for my O2 sensor and a p0420 which was a v tech malfunction I think but I replaced the O2 sensors and they all went away
No codes are setting currently then, correct?
Can you describe the noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No CEL. If I'm accelerating in a higher gear for a longer period of time, say 25 mph to 70 mph in 3rd or 4th gear, it comes and goes... The whole car vibrates and a sound (sounds like from the passenger side of the engine compartment) comes and goes through the entire acceleration. When it shifts between 3-5k rpm it's a real rough, lurching shift. It's an automatic by the way. I thought the throttle body or maybe the injectors were clogged but I did a compression test and all the cylinders had equal compression.
It doesn't really sound like a mechanical engine noise then, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it sounds mechanical I just can't decide if the noise sounds normal or if the engine running without it sounds normal because the whole car vibrates, especially at low rpm. It resonates the windows so that they're loud as hell. I'm at the point where I'm about to just take it to a mechanic and just say fix it.
Are you hearing a knocking or ticking noise from the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Knocking. It almost sounds like the whole engine is vibrating and resonating loose or something
If it's knocking then you have a mechanical failure in the engine, either a bearing, piston or valvetrain issue.
What were the compression test results for each cylinder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't remember the exact number but they were all the same. Either like 90 or 120 or somewhere around there
That's extremely low. If all cylinders were that low across the board I would first suspect improper cam timing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that cause my whole car to vibrate?
Yes, it will cause the engine to run rough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I fix that