MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech
10834442

2006 Honda civic no power to ac compressor, no cooling fan

Customer Question

2006 Honda civic no power to ac compressor, no cooling fan either
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Have you tried anything yet to resolve your problem?Are you planning on doing the work yourself?Have you verified if the system is properly charged? Thanks! Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry haven't we already talked about this issue??
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I help many customers and my indicator only shows 1 open question. Since I have tried to help before I will opt-out.
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.
Hello welcome to just answer Im master tech and will be able to assist you.since the a/c condenser fan is not coming on also then this is a indication the system is under charged. do you have access to manifold gauges ? need to see what the pressure is at.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, low pressure is around 50 or so.... one thing I did noticed.... when I changed the sensor on the high pressure line it seemed like there wasn't much pressure or gas escape
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also have done the diagnositcs on the control panel ... no codes
ok thank you for the update
we have well known issues with the clutch relays have you checked this yet ?
now you mentioned the fan inside does not work also is this correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it works fine.. Im talking about condenser fan and cooling fan thanks
ok thank you for that info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both cooling fans work when power is applied manually
ok let me look at the etm to see whats missing.
whats the high pressure at static ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I recall I think about the same. also didn't see your previous post... clutch tested bad and replaced along with compressor. compressor works when power is applied manually
ok when you manually power it up the fans and system works like normal correct. does it cool also ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clutch and compressor work.... no fans I was by myself didn't want to leave it run that long with fans not working I pretty confident it would have cooled.
and your ambient temps when you charged the system and how much freon used ? when you replaced the compressor how much oil did you recover from the old one and transfer to the new one ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know about temps... compressor was used form low mileage vehicle could get about guessing approx. 8oz guessing before pressure would be at 50 and stabilize no oil transferred to new compressor
ok this could a problem also.anytime you replace a compressor on a honda product you have to measure the oil from the new and old and make sure the oil is transferred correctly or cooling issues will result. typically a new compressor comes with 4 oz or pag oil and on a replacement we use around 1.6-20 oz of pag oil
here is some diag info to look into also
im asking these questions so I can get a inside look at whats going on. so please dont take offence to me asking these question ok. Dino I am a actualy Honda master tech that works at Honda so this is how I can give you these trouble shooting items
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
definately not!! thanks for the diag I dont know about the oil thing only that it has oil in it, they just remove and plug the ports. that wouldn't keep the fans from turning on thought would it?
no it will not. so just curious if this is under charged cause the static pressure is a red flag for me.a fully charged static system should read around 90 psi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes,,, but how can it get fully charged with no ac compressor operation
the a/c machines push the freon in on the high side versus the old days when we always charged on the low side only. im sure that if you hook up the gauges and manually power up the system the low side will be around 10 psi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it should still kick on with the low pressure side though shouldn't it? do you have any speculations? also where are these testing ports shown in the diag 24p connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I am correct when I thought the high pressure side didn't expel much pressure when pressure sensor removed, what would cause that low pressure/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you stated that powering up the compresser would probably show a low reading on the low side.. should I try to charge it that way?
you can try to add some freon on the low side to get the psi up
this is on the pcm connectors. the whole system run through the computer so they are looking for opens in the wires or a failed part.
first hook up the gauges and then power it up and tell me the pressures please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks appreciate you wisdom, currently at the office will run back to the shop, wont be back up here online until morning . if I can use my phone it may be a half hr or so if not will be morning thanks again
ok I do work in the morning but will try to reply in a timely manner ok.
or we can actually converse on the phone if you would like a one on one on this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
high size compressor will go to 220 or so.low side around 30. this is actually a friends car that I sold about a year ago. I am getting thoroughly exhausted with it I will be gone until Friday.that will have access to computer .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will continue to work with you you definitely know what you're talking about.also need to watch how much money I'm getting into this Honda is available next Thursday and will give me a guarantee diagnosis for $55. do you ever get so tired of working on something that you feel physically ill? that's about where I am now. when I did that charge last night I think I heard a leak somewhere so will check that out this morning.thanks again will wait on your reply.
ok 220 and 30 is about normal depending on ambient temp.yes I know how you feel and yes it happens to all of us. but it's normally something so minute that it just gets under my skin.a leak somewhere ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the leak I think I hear, comes from the area of the compressor seem to hear it about 3-5 miniutes after car is shut off. . but.. even if it is a leak, would that prevent clutch and fans from engaging, with the pressures up like they are? I don't think Ive ever spent this much time in diagnostic mode, may explain the sicky feeling. after an hr or so of diag Im usually ready to put a torch to it.. do you know of any other sensor or restricted valve that would directly prevent the fans and or clutch from turning on because of false pressure sensing? thanks will be gone until about 9pm est. will check back then.
can if the a/c pressure is to low.the high pressure switch is the main controller besides the control panel. sorry for the delay I got slammed at work yesterday so was not able to reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no problem the fans not coming on with the system pressurized is what is stumping me. I cant figure out why they aren't being energized. is there anything compressor related that would stop the the fans from turning on? thermal protector? was contemplating swapping out another compressor. Im running out of time. I have an appointment tentatively for next tues or wed at honda if I don't get this working by then. if the ecm did happen
the power transistor will control this also. funny thing I just had a accord with the same issue and the blower worked. so thie threw me for a loop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so are you saying the power transistor was the problem in your case? and if so where did you locate that? and what s brought you to the conclusion? there may be hope yet. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you talking about the blower resistor?
yes in my case it was the transistor. it's located under the glove box on next to the blower motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
changed the blower transistor to be safe. wish that would have been the answer. are you out of ideas and possible solutions? in the beginning of the posts I mentioned that while changing the high pressure sensor, it seemed like there was not much Freon in that line.. all the pressure was out in about 4 seconds shouldn't that sensor being removed evacuated all the system? is there a valve that could be plugged ?
IM Thinking this is electrical .but it's hard to out my hands on it. how did that testing go ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could be,,, haven't done much electrical testing other than out font around sensors, clutch and compressor.. a little confused on some prcedures, type of engine,r18a1? or k20z3? locations of testing ports. hds? where is hvac control unit? can you clarify any of that? thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also micu? what is this under dash relay box they are referring to ? sorry about all that don't want to get started testing and be able to finish.
the micu is the gauge cluster. the hvac control unit is the actual a/c controls.the fuse box is called a multiplex.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And location of that PCM connector?
The pcm is next to the fuse body under hood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does hvac control unit have to be removed for access to 24p connector
ok I just looked and yes it does. I have been updating my lap top and can't access the Honda site fully Im half way through the 152 updates so very limited to what I can do until they are complete.
ok my lap top is all good now.
I can access everything now.
we can chat on the phone if that will help ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I have no voltage at the HVAC side (Brown wire) I have voltage at the three prong connector (blue and white wire).the next step in what I can do here says check the thermal protector. I don't see procedure for that. anything else? Thanks also phone would be fine... cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any more testing behind the HVAC control unit I'd like to put the dash back in
lets leave it apart or the moment .
let me send the offer because its a new format.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a little confused about the phone thingI can do that if need be although I feel like we are at the home stretch.. I have no continuitybetween the SP connector blue wire an HVAC controllbyer connector 11 brown wire.
this is a service that just answer provides . you will be able to talk directly with me on the phone. ok looks like your on to something here. so now you need to trace that wire back from point a to point b.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that could be the problem.. don't really want to tear all the harness apart to find the wire I would need to know exactly where it goes to prevent a lot of unnecessary mess.is that what Honda does when they have an issue like that just tear harness apart? Ouch!!
no need to tear it all apart. let me look to see if their is some connections to break the system down.yes this is the fun part of my job as a tech. some are a real pain n the rear .
your 100% on the wire findings ? it does get confusing at times and a wrong pin or wire or connector color will send you off to the wild
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
100 hundred according to the diagnosis diagram. brown wire and blue wire should have direct contact correctm
ok I will look up the etm to see if their is a connector but pretty sure it's a straight harness to the fuse box cause these are not fun to do.
ok I will look up the etm to see if their is a connector but pretty sure it's a straight harness to the fuse box cause these are not fun to do.ok here is a twist all 3 connectors have 44 pin's
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what exactly does that mean? do you think the break in the wire is at the connectors?
i meant that if their was a connector from the control panel to the other end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry still don't understand exactly if you come up with a solution to this let me know.what do you think about hooking the front wire to the AC module wire to bypass the broken wire just as a test
Hello. yes you could do a over lay on that wire to see if this is a solution and then you could repair the harness or leave the over lay on.. was this car ever hit in the front end ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah I may give that a try also no cars never been in an accident one owner carThanks will let you know
ok I will await your results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I am wired it directly from the 3p connector to the brown wire at the AC controller all seems to work perfect although I cannot bring myself to runan additional wire to make this thing work if it was my car it would be one thing.what I'm asking is what would you do at the dealership if this wire was dead and how would you find the break in the wire?did you ever find connection points that could be a problem?
if this was the problem a broken wire Honda recommends a new harness, how ever some dealers will find the break and repair it.now have said that the harness is very long and goes to a lot of places so for me I would want to repair it right so for what ever reason this broke would have me worried is another part will break ?the harnesses are not that expensive like around 300.00 but the bad part is the dash will have to come out.so it begins a toss up if the break is behind the dash or by the fuse box or in the engine compartment .?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
disregard everything!!! although it worked perfect it wouldn't shut off. rechecked voltage and now have 2.5 volt both sides , did have 8 volt on the compressor side and nothing at the hvac control. and now have 68 ohms in that wire and had nothing before.. this diag from Honda I cant do step 3 could that be a problem? why would I have voltage now and not before at the control panel end? this is getting so complicated .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is starting to feel like something simple is being overlooked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you think about taking it to the appointment at honda on wed? I feel like this dag is leading to the worst possible scenario, I almost never run into that. which makes me think we might be overlooking something. thanks
sounding like a pcm issue possibly I personally would keep the apt and let them over see this. we use a scanner that lets us command systems and see inputs. I have a feeling it's something over looked also.kinda going back to the a/c compressor area. but like I said before it's hard doing a third party look in like we are doing. so 68 ohms is showing up now is not good, on the single over lay wire you strung is that the one that has the reading or the stock wire ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the original wire.
Ok so it's touching something. make sure to reset your meter with the leads touched.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't quite understand what you're saying
to make sure the readings on the meter are true. basically zeroing the meter out with the leads touching so the meter reads true
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I'm sure it was ...it was turned off and then back on anyway. and it's a digital meter... I I've never taken a car to a mechanic but I'm about at wits end with this. just don't want this to turn out to be something so simplethat we missed and dissecting the whole car in the process...are you officially out of ideas simple and otherwise?. I talked to Honda down here they don't recall ever changing a harness on one of these..
I have to agree something might have been over looked.but what is the key.do date I have not replaced a harness for a short.all fuses checked and the Diode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes fuses checked but not diodes.is there any diodes that directly affect this situation?
yes this is in conjunction with the fans.for some reason I keep going back the the a/c charge for some reason. when you evacuated the system how long did you pull a vacuum for ?
im leaving work for the day and will be off line for about 2 hours. commute time Uhggg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the clutch was changed. system was not evacuated at all. As a.last case scenario I changed the compressor also.at that point the system was not pulled down. that's probably water on the bridge go since the compressor kicks on when power suppllied. Thanks
Ok so when you replaced the compressor how did you discharge and recharge it. These have to be pulled down into a vacuum or the system will not charge correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you mean. what Im saying is the system wasn't evacuated after the clutch was changed.(that was the first thing done) didn't work... then.... after I changed compressor(even though the old one was good) I just pulled it down with a cheap hf unit that hooks to an air compressor. still.... I wouldn't imagine that would prevent it from kicking on, would you? with air in the system it may not be as cold ,. but ive never had them not engage because it wasn't pulled down to specs. but,,, I am not an ac professional as I am finding out.
in my experience I have not seen this type of problem with the a/c not working as described. so for me going back to basics is what we need to do
so if you have access to a a/c machine and evacuate the system and let it recover and vacuum for 30 minutes and then recharge to 450KG of freon and Don't add any oil unless it recovers any then only put that amount back in. then lets see what we have.
this is what I would be doing if I had the car in front of me.
something simple is off but putting my finger on it is the issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks and sorry about the delay.honda can't figure it out either.they are thinking so far possibly a bad control unit or a fuse box issue..I'm having an issue believing it could be the control unit due to the voltagein the brown wire.doesn't that wire supply power to the control unit? also do you know if the brown wire and the blue & white wire are directly connected or do they run to the fuse box
well I will say I have seen more multiplex issues then a hvac controler.the multiplex ( fuse box) is the heart of the system and sends all the signals out to the rest of the system .I will look at the etm to check these wires.
sorry for the delay I got slammed at work and didnt have a chance to look the info up..
trying to upload now
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6aj1y7wsy7z9mm/hvac2.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mcckmr9zcgl06r/hvac3.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/affotzd8wqp1dqa/hvac4.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxawb17ktfzm346/hvac5.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9s8bjvebmxsjh6/hvac6.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/90jx7vppmdv0eh2/hvac.pdf?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. Been busy and can't open these links... will try from different computer. Thanks
ok just copy and paste each one it will open like the others sent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, just wouldn't open from my phone.. when you say more issues with fuse box.... what is the solution?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
without me trying to figure out the diagrams.. do you know the fuse or slot I could check for power going to the ac controller?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the Honda dealer didn't charge me due to not being able to give me an answer. what do you think about trying another Honda service dept? maybe they have dealt with a similar issue.
I will have to look at the etm's and see which one. as far as another dealer not sure but having a second look is always a good thing. and it all really depends on who the shop gives the job to a general line tech or a master tech or a electrical tech.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks your responses are coming through multiple times.
yea not sure what happened seen that also