Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Civic EX: , My wife's 1998 EX engine stopped while she

Customer Question

My wife's 1998 EX engine stopped while she was driving. We got it to a garage - they say the problem is the distributor. To fix it they want to replace the entire distributor for a cost of $500.
1. Does the entire distributor need to be replaced?
2. My recollection is that a complete distributor is about $120 for a Honda part and less for an after market part. What do you think the price should be?
3. My recollection is that a distributor is easy and inexpensive to replace. Am I right?
4. What do you think about the total cost? Is it reasonable (and cost effective) to replace the entire distributor?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Complete distributors from O'Reilly are from $162-257. This should be a typical price. Honda does not sell the complete distributor, it needs to be pieced together. Ebay sells cheap distributors for as little as $54 but the repair shop would have a hard time guaranteeing it. You are limited to wherever they get their parts from. Unless you provide one for them to use. If you did this they would not warranty the distributor or even possibly the repair. The distributor is very easy to replace takes approx 20 min. total time. If I were using a distributor from O'Reilly($162) I would charge $50 for installation, $100 for diagnosis and $approx $200 for the distributor with normal parts markup. Total $350 so their price must include a higher price distributor and labor. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man