Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Civic: , I have a 2000 civic 1.6 automatic with 199k miles.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2000 civic 1.6 automatic with 199k miles. I have a code p1457 evap control system leakage (evap canister area). We have performed smoke tests, and searched for leaks in this area (the canister is on the fire wall on this vehicle), as well as other areas of the evap system, and cant seem to find a leak. evap system holds pressure when tested. The purge solenoid, and vent valve seem to be functioning properly when activated with a power probe. vent valve has voltage when activated with scan tool. please help
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Evidently your P1457 issue is intermittent since your tests have been OK so far. I understand your frustration I have been in your place many times. There is a service bulletin(03-001) that recommends replacing the evap bypass solenoid valve due to moisture in the valve. Moisture can cause corrosion especially in areas where salt is used on the roads. The valve can just fail too, I have replaced several that looked fine but were bad. The valve can be activated with jumper wires so you can try to get it t fail. If power is applied and the solenoid fails to work you will know it's bad. If you find moisture, rusty water or corrosion in the valve it's a safe bet it's bad. If you want to try a probable solution I would replace the bypass solenoid valve. Moisture in the valve can cause failure(shorting) of the powertrain control module internal control circuit. If any moisture is inside the valve I recommend replacing it to prevent damage to the PCM. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there a chance my ecm,pcm could be bad?

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
It's possible but not very common. If everything else checks good then possibly it is bad. If there was corrosion or moisture in the valve it's more likely.