Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

97 Accord SE coupe, passenger window doesn't work. All fuses

Customer Question

97 Accord SE coupe, passenger window doesn't work. All fuses intact. Regulator is fine, motor runs in both directions when voltage is applied directly. Continuity checks all the way to door hinge harness connection all good. Switch continuity in all 3
positions seems good. Voltage at hinge connection is: blue/black - hot, blue/yellow - 0, and blue/blue - 0. I suspect blue/blue should also be hot, but I can't tell what it's connected to, so I don't know where to check next for continuity or voltage. Can
you help?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My online handle is Honda-Man, I am ready to help with your Honda question. I have over 30 years experience with Honda vehicles.I have included a wiring diagram for your Accord Coupe. Make sure the ignition is ON and the drivers switch is in the normal rest position.Unplug the passengers side power window switch and check power at the blue/black. Check continuity(ground) at the blue and blue/yellow wires. If you can record the readings? I will be online for another 2-3 hours tonight. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blue/black: 12.19 V. Blue/yellow and blue are both 0. I checked for continuity with ground to the lighter, door, and chassis, all negative. Are these good ground references, or should I be checking something else?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
By negative do you mean no continuity? Or no ground? Touching the ohmmeter probes together shows good continuity, is that the reading you got on the blue/yellow and blue? The lighter, door, etc are good grounds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant no continuity was indicated. My meter has an audible continuity test feature, I used that. Resistance test yields a consistent result. Resistance between yellow or blue to any ground point is infinite.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
OK, power source is good but without a good ground the window won't work. Is the master switch set to ON? Need to ask the obvious just in case. The switch pulls the ground to disable the passenger window. If it is ON then the lack of ground needs to be found. This also rules out the passenger switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch on the driver side for the passenger window is in the neutral position. Window won't work from that switch, either, BTW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just realized what you were asking about. The switch that says"ON". Can't believe I never noticed that. Window works fine now. And I've been messing with this for weeks....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help 😊
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Good! Don't feel bad I see it all of the time.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Just think now you know how to diagnose a window problem! Have a great day! Please remember to rate my advice. Honda-Man