Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2011 civic Si. Only 24k miles but before it hit

Customer Question

I have a 2011 civic Si. Only 24k miles but before it hit vtec, around 5k rpm the car lost power and bog down. There is no TDC nor any history. Oil level is good. The only mil is tpms but all tire pressure are ok. Just wondering if this tpms is related to the engine perfomance. Any input or advise is much appreciated.

Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.The TPMS will not cause it to bog down.Was the engine warmed up all of the way when this happened?When it lost power was it like the RPM limiter kicked in? Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes engine is warmed up and when it hit 5k- 5.5k the engine is slowing down even if i had the acceleration all the way down to the floor. I could feel the car is being draging back.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply and information. The usual suspect for a problem like you are experiencing is the VTEC/VTC pressure switch. If it acts up long enough it will set a code. I have seen this happen without a code only a few times. Since the oil level is good this is obviously not the cause of the problem. Another possible cause is debris in the MAF sensor. The sensor can get a small piece of crud on the sensor and cause a monetary lean condition. I would remove the sensor and check for any lint. dirt, etc in the sensor opening. Sometimes the air cleaner lid is loose or improperly installed so when you are hard on it the lid lifts up. This will also cause a lean condition that usually won't turn on the check engine light. The air filter is in a tight spot so it may have been inspected and left loose or installed wrong? If you have any other information that may help me please reply. Without a code it will be hard to know for sure what exactly happened. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Oh, i asked before if it sounded like it was bouncing off the rev limiter? Like wha-wha-wha really fast?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i tried to clean the maf sensor and found it still pretty clean. Air box is good. it nothing like the rev limiter at all because when it at 5k rpm, instead of getting louder the engine sounds smaller and the car felt heavy, like carrying another 3 tons on the roof.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Well? not sure what else to recommend. Evidently it was a one time thing. Without any DTC history there is no definite direction to head in. If it sets a code in the future get back to me and I will help. You can still come back for follow-ups for free after rating my advice. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man