justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

I have a engine light on the dash of my 99 Honda Accord ,

Customer Question

I have a engine light on the dash of my 99 Honda Accord , also the code checked out as possible oxygen sensors, but it idles too low and almost stalls at a stop light ?
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 2 years ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I am going to need more information before I can make a determination as to what the problem might be. First, the codes that are stored in the vehicle's computer could be very helpful. Can you please provide whatever codes are present? Also, has any work been done on the vehicle prior to this problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No work done on it lately , just checked the codes at Oriely`s Auto parts , I don't have the codes anymore .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They said it might be the oxygen sensors or catal muffler !
Expert:  justinsbg replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that information. Would it be too much trouble to go by another auto parts store and have the computer scanned again? The code information could help me determine the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Trouble code was p0420 1999 Honda Accord DX-L4 2.3,2254cc F23A5 FI GAS SOHC Also trouble code p0117 1999 Honda Accord
Expert:  justinsbg replied 2 years ago.
Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.Thanks for getting back to me with that information. That is very helpful. The P0117 code is for a faulty ECT (engine coolant temp sensor). This could explain the vehicle running poorly. This sensor inpiuts to the computer the engine temperature and the computer makes fuel adjustments accordingly. If the engine is hot, but the ECT sensor is reporting a cold temperature the computer will supply too much fuel causing the vehicle to idle rough or possibly stall the engine. The first thing to check here is the coolant level in the radiator and reservoir. If the radiator level is low you need to top it off, and then determine if there is a leak. If the coolant level is full I would replace the ECT sensor.The P0420 is related to a faulty catalytic converter. 99% of the time the converter is bad and needs to be replaced. On rare occasions the O2 sensor can be faulty causing this code, but in most cases the converter needs to be replaced.You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thanks,