Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE
78075103

2002 civic ex 1.7 head gasket replaced 2 years ago by honda

Customer Question

2002 civic ex 1.7 head gasket replaced 2 years ago by honda dealer in last 9 months miss fire codes for 4 cylinders . new coils installed with correct ngk platinum plugs . car runs fine but still sets miss fire codes after 2 days after clearing codes p 300 thru p 304 engine has 291,000 miles and does not use any oil or coolant also no bubbles in radiator while running , I will be doing a compression test . Any diagnostic help is appreciated .
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
After reading your description, I think the vehicle may have a fuel delivery issue. I really think your head gasket is ok and still sealing the engine just right.
Given the P300 code, we have a random misfire happening. We have to think about what all cylinders have in common. This would be Air, Fuel, spark and timing. Given that the vehicle runs ok we can eliminate timing and and spark. My bet would be to first check the air filter and if dirty replace, then reset the check engine light. If the light comes back on and the same P300 code sets, I could safely say that the fuel pump will be the culprit. With almost 300,000 miles on the vehicle I am sure it is getting weak and either not producing enough pressure or volume or both and that is setting off lean misfires in all cylinders.
I hope this helps, and please let me know the outcome.