jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED 32 YRS EXPERIENCE
8668911

99 Accord V6 car overheating, cooling fan not turning on automatically

Customer Question

99 Accord V6 car overheating, cooling fan not turning on automatically but will turn on when I turn AC on.
Category: Honda
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, by jumping that connector shows the circuit is working ,plus if you turn on the a/c and the fan also, comes on .when you turn on the a/c it is actually a different circuit that sends info for the fan to come on .I think you have a head gasket issue instead .when you have a head gasket problem (even if it runs good otherwise ) there are hydro carbons (exhaust gases) that get into the cooling system and create air pockets as well as extra pressure in the cooling system ...and the coolant fan sensor wont work on so to speak hot air ,it needs to be immersed in the coolant liquid .so what you need to do is either a quick test is to leave the cap off and when it is running see if it pushes out coolant or there are air pockets /bubbles in the coolant ..another thing is to do a block test on the cooling system -this involves using the tester the tester consists of a tube filled with a special blue liquid and this is held over the radiator or reservoir where the cap was and then squeezing the bulb on top of the tester to draw in fumes ..the blue liquid chemical will turn a lt brownish/yellow or green color if there is a presence of hydro-carbons in the cooling system ..the car may not show coolant (white smoke) out the exhaust or signs of leaking.another thing is to check the oil as it may be getting coolant into it and then it will turn the oil to a lt brown color again these things may not show up right away but the overheating and the fact that you can jump the switch and also, that when you turn on the a/c the fans does come on ....jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hello, I am checking back to see if you still need help ?
also, by just disconnecting the coolant sensor (while running the fan should come on ..jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

If I helped you please rate me positive as that is the only way I receive credit and we can still continue on if needed .

if you still need assistance please let me know ..I thank you ..jazzmaster ..