Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Civic: there. I idled my 2003 Honda Civic sedan

Customer Question

Hi there. I idled my 2003 Honda Civic sedan for about an hour. Engine was on. A/C was on. During that time, the Check Engine light came on. After the hour of idling, I turned the engine off. I turned the A/C off. Waited 10 minutes. Engine wouldn't start, but the steering column made all its usual sounds as I turned the key. I jumped the car and it started up. Engine light is still on. What might the light be indicating?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My online handle is Honda-Man, I am ready to help with your Honda question. The battery must have gone dead while it was idling. This can happen if the drain exceeds the available charging voltage from the alternator. The A/C draws a considerable amount. If the battery is weak or the alternator is charging below the normal amount the battery will die then the engine. This can turn on the engine light due to the low voltage. I would have a auto parts store read the code and test the battery and alternator. My guess is the battery is on it's way out. The code will probably be related to the engine control unit low voltae so nothing to worry about. Just have the store clear the code when they are done. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man