Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

Civic: my wife has a 2007 Honda civic she bought new. up until

Customer Question

my wife has a 2007 Honda civic she bought new. up until this summer the a/c worked fine. now it is intermittent. one time you start it the air works fine, the next time you start it, no cool air. when it is cooling the pressures are normal, when it isn,t cooling the pressures are equalized with clutch engaged, compressor running.when driving the car the a/c might cool for 30 miles and start blowing hot air ( clutch still engaged).all this happens with the compressor turning. when it is working pressures are normal, 38-44 psi and around 200 on the high side depending on temp.problem definitely not electrical. any ideas?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have restored antique cars and built street rods for 40 yrs. I have installed many a/c units and repaired many but never seen one act like this,but my experience is mostly with usa stuff.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. These Civic's are notorious for compressor failures. The compressor fails internally and every now and then the internal valves get stuck and the compressor cannot build pressure. If the clutch is indeed staying engaged then this is the issue. I would replace the compressor and flush the system. I would also replace the expansion valve at the same time. Let me know if you would like further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my idea that it was the comp. I an all the checks in the Honda service manual but they don,t a problem just like mine in the book. they shoe problem with sides having equal pressure with the compressor running and no cool. sometimes get in it will cool for a few miles then just. I,v the car and got out and compressor would be in the pump run mode but no circualation, both lines is the same temp,about as hot as every thing else under the hood. i.ll get back to tomorrow some time. thans
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know what you find and if you need more help.