Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 1996 honda accord, with about 70K miles (true mileage).

Customer Question

I have a 1996 honda accord, with about 70K miles (true mileage). Although, old it runs fine and i generally keep up with maintenance as suggested. Recently the fan has started coming on AFTER i shut off the car. I checked the water level and it's ok. I replaced the radiator about 4-5 years ago. When I am driving, the temp guage is well within the normal zone, but i think the car is going from cold (when i start the engine) to its stable temp while running much faster than i noticed before. What should I have checked next?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My online handle is Honda-Man, I am ready to help with your Honda question.How long do the fans run after the engine is shut off?Will it do it if it's not fully warmed up?When this happens is it even a little warmer than usual? Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan runs perhaps a minute or two. Not very long.
According to the temp gauge it is warmed up. But i have not tried to turn the engine on, run it briefly and then shut it off to see if it will still happen. But the guage rises so quickly that even a short run time might fully warm it up.
Usual temp when I am driving is 60-65F, when this has happened it might have been 70-75F. 80 max. And it has happened after driving only 2 miles, no traffic.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. The fans will run with the engine off normally if the coolant temp is above 223 F This helps cool down the engine to stop fuel vapor lock in the fuel rail. It is probably working as it should but you must have a stuck thermostat. It would be a good place to start replacing the thermostat. Your ambient temp is not high enough to cause your problem. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man