Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Weak right front brakes, pulls to left when braking, no

Customer Question

weak right front brakes, pulls to left when braking, no leaking or low fluid level. All pads are OK. Bad master cylinder? 1998 accord v6 with 228,000 miles.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My online handle is Honda-Man, I am ready to help with your Honda question. It is possible the master cylinder is causing your problem but not too likely. The Honda braking system is diagonal so if the right front is weak the left rear should be also. A more likely cause is the right front brake line hose. Sometimes the inner wall of the hose breaks down because the restriction. If the brake pedal feel spongy there may also be air in the right front caliper. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bled the right front cylinder and same result. what restriction are you talking about?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
A restriction in the rubber brake line hose can cause your problem. It is more common than a bad master cylinder. The inside of the reinforced hose can break down and restrict flow to the caliper. The hose is much cheaper than the master cylinder and would be a good place to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced that right front hose and bled the car. No difference.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
OK, it was the most likely suspect. Guess it time for a master cylinder.Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats this new deal? $30 for 10 minutes now?? Wow even I dont come close to making that! So when the time is up and customer wont pay more you dump em'? Sorry - I was a loyal customer but I'm out of here for good.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
I can switch to the old Q&A without the timer. I was hoping to get you an answer within the 10 min. I can continue on from here so you can get your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - I'm cool with that. How do we know it's a master cylinder and not a brake booster?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops now I hit the add $30 button.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
The booster helps apply the brakes evenly to the back master cylinder piston. The symptoms of a bad booster are a hard pedal or a vacuum leak. I have only replaced a couple master cylinders to fix your type of problem. Brake hoses are usually the cause.
Just contact customer service after you rate to reverse the additional charge. I will send them a message too just to make sure.