justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

2002 civic ex 1.7 has misfire codes but no misfire runs fine

Customer Question

2002 civic ex 1.7 has misfire codes but no misfire runs fine .Headgasket replaced 2 years ago by dealer new platnum plugs and coils replaced engine has 270k . besides compression and leak down test what else should I check ???
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.The very first thing I would be is check valve clearance. Whenever I get a vehicle with misfire codes but the engine is running well or there is maybe a light stumble I check the valve clearances. In most cases I find tight exhaust valves and when they are adjusted the problem is resolved. Adjustment NOTE: Adjust the valves only when the cylinder head temperature isless than 100°F (38°C) . Remove the ignition coil cover, then remove the four ignition coils.Remove the throttle cable clamps and harness holder from the cylinder head cover.Remove the cylinder head cover.Remove the grommet from the upper cover, and disconnect the camshaft position (CMP) (top dead center (TDC) ) sensor connector. Remove the upper cover.Set the No. 1 piston at TDC. The "UP" mark (A) on the camshaft pulley should be at the top, and the TDC marks (B) on the pulley should line up with the top edge of the head.Select the correct thickness feeler gauge for the valves you're going to check. Intake: 0.18 - 0.22 mm (0.007 - 0.009 inch)Exhaust: 0.23 - 0.27 mm (0.009 - 0.011 inch) If you feel too much or too little drag, loosen the locknut (A), and turn the adjusting screw (B) until the drag on the feeler gauge is correct.Tighten the locknut and recheck the clearance. Repeat the adjustment, if necessary.Rotate the crankshaft180° counterclockwise (camshaft pulley turns 90° ). The "UP" mark (A) on the camshaft pulley should be toward the exhaust side of the head.Check and, if necessary, adjust the valve clearance on No. 3 cylinder.Rotate the crankshaft 180° counterclockwise to bring No. 4 piston to TDC. TDC marks (A) are visible again.Check and, if necessary, adjust the valve clearance on No. 4 cylinder.Rotate the crankshaft 180° counterclockwise to bring No. 2 piston to TDC. The "UP" mark (A) should be on the intake side of the head.Check and, if necessary, adjust the valve clearance on No. 2 cylinder.Install the cylinder head cover.