Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist
Experience:  ASE Master Tech
3506196

Honda cr-v: There is a popping noise coming from the a/c compressor

Customer Question

There is a popping noise coming from the a/c compressor after the car is on for a while. Does it with the A/C on or off. The popping noise comes from a pressure relief valve on the actual compressor and when its making the popping noise it spits out PAG oil and I would assume freon as well. With the A/C on the pressures seem to be fine. Low reading is at 35 psi and high reading is at 195-200 psi.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Roy replied 2 years ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
what is the outside temp at your location??? the low side is way too high and it suggests the system is overcharged.
how much freon did you install??
Roy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Outside pressure is 90 degrees. We put 1 pound of freon. We have a Robinair A/C machine that does the whole procedure and charges the system to its factory specs. This was happening also with all of the old parts, just started happening out of the blue. And the weird thing is that it also does the same thing with the A/c turned off.
Expert:  Roy replied 2 years ago.
ok, high side looks normal. low side is still too high, should e 22-27 lbs.
you dont have an obstruction or you would have very high high side and vacuum on the low side.
did the compressors come with a pre assembled clutch?? or did you have to install the clutch??
when you turn the ac off, the high side stays high for a period of time. the pressure will rise and then fall.
Roy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It came pre-assembled. We're noticing now that the low side gauge needle has a very small oscillation.
Expert:  Roy replied 2 years ago.
ok, thats not good. and the pressure is high. have you verified voltage as I suggested?? diode???
Roy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't, I just checked our whole conversation and couldn't find any mention of voltage or diodes.
Expert:  Roy replied 2 years ago.
thats weird, I had it in mine. o well, computers, I hate them at times
there is or should be a diode in the harness side by the compressor connection. if that is gone or bad, it will cause clutch failures. also, make sure there is correct voltage to the coil and the ground as well.
Roy