Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

Odyssey: i had a weld repair on the exhaust / catalytic converter

Customer Question

i had a weld repair on the exhaust / catalytic converter and now my check engine light is on with the code P0498
The welder said its was the gas cap and shut off the light but it turned back on 20 minutes later
What do I do?
Jackie
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...The P0498 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a problem with the EVAP Canister Vent Shut Valve. This valve is located under the vehicle, mounted to the EVAP Canister. Follow the wire harness as far up as you can, making sure there was no damage done to any of the wires during the exhaust work. If the visual inspection checks ok, most commonly, replacing the Vent Shut Valve will solve the problem. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.