Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Honda Civic LX: The engine shut off while driving (no restart)

Customer Question

The engine shut off while driving (no restart) and that lead to my diagnosis that coil failed (no spark, ohms out of spec, casing shows sign of arcing/heat damage). After replacing the coil and spark plugs, I realize I hadn't taken a pic of the wire connections within the distributor and didn't have them in correct location (no start). I then realized I had more available connectors on the ICM than wires to attach. I located a wiring diagram and the unattached connector is the stand alone on the ICM (closest to the coil). A wiring diagram shows that to be the 'blue' wire for RPM indicator (but is that correct?). Pix/diagrams seen online show that blue wire is in a 2-wire black insulator with the black/yellow wire (power). I have no blue wire. And it's not broken off and within insulator. I can't find a blue wire inside the distributor at all.
So is there a wire that should be attached to that stand alone tab on ICM and why isn't it there in insulated wrap ('harness') with power wire for coil ready for me to snap on.
This isn't my first time under the hood, but I admit I'm looking silly with this Magic disappearing wire act.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. How many wires do you have going to the igniter(ICM)? Thanks, Honda-man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 3 wires attached to the 3 adjacent male tabs on ICM. They are (L to R, facing distributor): yel/grn, yel/blk [ +,'from coil], yel/grn [ --, from coil].
Can you see them and unattached male tab on ICM in pic?
Walter
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can see them but just wanted to be sure. Does the Civic have a tach? Is it all stock? Auto or manual trans?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
In the image you sent the wires are in the correct position. The blue wire is the igniter output for the tachometer. If there is no tachometer the blue wire is not there. You will only have 3 wires if there is no tach. unless the distributor is for a different application? If you have any other questions feel free to ask!Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and a positive rating is what I work for! Please accept or provide a positive rating. If you can't rate please let me know so I can continue to help.~Honda-Man