George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Accord: my 01 honda accord will not start with key lights and

Customer Question

my 01 honda accord will not start with key lights and radio come on but car will not turn over can push start it and pop the clutch to start it
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Do you have an aftermarket anti theft system installed? Do you have a 12 volt testlight to check the signal to the starter motor from the key? Let me know so I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes bought the car with a viper anti theft system don't have a test light but can get one
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, it is probably the Viper that has failed. They install these by cutting the wire from the ignition to the starter and installing a relay. TO bypass that and get it out of the picture look up under the dash near the steering column and pull down the mass of wires. You may have to cut some nylon wire ties to get the two black boxes down. The smaller one should have four wires and two of those will be spliced to your vehicle wires. In your case those are black with a white stripe. You might be able to pull that relay with the four wires out of a socket and use a heavy paperclip to connect the two wire that are spliced into the black/white stripe wires. Give that a try and see if it will crank then. If it does splice the black/white wires back together permanently and remove all the other aftermarket wiring and black boxes from the vehicle. Id this an automatic or manual transmission?