Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

Odyssey: ,my 2007 honda odyssey makes a clicking noise

Customer Question

hello,
my 2007 honda odyssey makes a clicking noise when moving from park to drive or when pressing on the gas can you help ?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if this is a single click or multiple clicks over and over again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Bobby,Thank You for your reply.it does both but mostly double
it happens the second you press down on the gas ( tick ...tick sound ) and if you keep press on the gas it keeps happeninghope this helps.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. The two most common places to get this type of noise on this vehicle is from the variable valve timing actuators in the engine and the transmission. It is possible that your transmission has too much freeplay between certain parts causing this. I would start by checking the engine oil level. If the oil has not been changed recently then you might want to do that as a restricted oil filter can cause actuator noise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the oil has been changed.
and the noise is only there when the car is in drive and you press on the gas when the car is in motion there is no noise its just the first time you press on the gas.
also can you break down your explanation so that a none mechanic (me) can understand it and perhaps a ball park price if its fixable.thank you
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Let me get a little clarification so that I can give you my best answer. So it will not do it when it is already moving and you press the gas, but only when you press the gas from a dead stop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just drove it again just to be sure....and as far as i can hear its just from a dead stop.
from a dead stop it makes two clicking noises and when you let go go the gas pedal it makes the same noise again .....
i also tried the other gears and same noise except reverse which just makes one noise.
when the window is closed you can't hear the noise at all.
to me it sounds like the noise is coming from the front drivers side
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. That tells me something a little different. Since it is only occurring then I would suspect either a worn out engine mount or a failure in a suspension bushing such as a lower control arm bushing. If there is a bad engine mount, the engine will move at these times and cause this noise. Most of the time it will cost a few hundred dollars to replace a mount or a lower control arm bushing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So how do I determine which one it is ?
When you say it is only occurring ..........does that mean while in drive or are asking me again when it occurs ?
Also have you ever heard of this before ?
Thank you for your help.
I need this to be accurate so please let me know if there is something I can do to help you get that information for me
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
I have seen this many times. To check the engine mounts it takes two people. With the hood open you will stand near the front of the van. Have an assistant sit inside as if they are going to drive it. Apply the parking brake and start the vehicle. Have them press and hold the brake with their left foot without ever releasing it. Then place the vehicle in reverse and rev the engine slightly over and over watching the engine. If it moves any more than about an inch in reverse and then in drive then you have a bad mount. This can be dangerous so make sure that the assistant knows never to release the brakes at any point.