Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

2012 CR-V: My Honda CR-V is ready new software. I don't

Customer Question

My Honda CR-V is ready for a new software. I don't really want one. Do I have to get one for my battery?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
The update for the battery is provided by Honda as a product update.
This product update should be no charge to you. If they are trying to charge you then I would call Honda customer service and report them or go to another Honda dealer.
The update is to help keep the battery charged if you do a lot of short distance driving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am told the softwear is too update the thing that has maps to guide me by. I don't need that.
I got another letter that said the battery needed it to keep check on my battery. I hope I don't need that.
It will cost me $99 and they will need to have my car for half a day. I don't like that either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To make it short, I don't want to do this at all, but will it harm my CR-V if I don't.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for claifying that.
The navigation update is strictly volentatry and is something you would order yourself from "hondanavi.com". It is just updated maps with changes since the original. If you are ok with the current directions and mapping you do noy have to spend the money.
The battery update letter says half a day just for scheduling. We do them while people wait. This update is akso something you can skip if you feel you do not need it.