Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

honda 4 door dx: 1993 Honda just stopped while driving. It

1993 Honda just stopped while driving. Its 'reving up" like it wants to start. It has gas. No warning lights came on. It has good power. Battery good. Alternator good. It turns over & revs-up like its going to start and...nothing. (I had a bit of trouble starting it from my home but I didn't pay too much attention because it DID START. I was 4 blocks away from home when it died. Car had sat all night and this was my first trip of the day)Thank you for any advice. I really appreciate it. Pamela

Edward :

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. Let me first ask, Did the check engine light come on? or any warning lights come on just before the vehicle died? Also, is the check engine light on now when driving the car?

Customer:

Thanks for a fast response. Check engine light flickerd as it died. It didn't come on or stay on

Edward :

alright, I understand. and the car just cranks now and doesn't start correct?

Customer:

yes

Edward :

Alright, Does the check engine light come ON now, with key ON engine OFF? Let me know. It should come ON if you just turn the key ON.

Customer:

yes...check engine light comes on when I crank it/just turn key ON

Edward :

Alright, And the engine does turn over normally? it doesn't sound like it spins too fast? it sounds normal when cranking correct?

Customer:

...but all the lights come on as I turn the key ON

Edward :

right, I just wanted to be sure the check engine light lit up.

Customer:

yes...engine sounds normal

Edward :

alright, What I suggest first, is pulling a plug wire, and put a spark tester on the spark plug wire, ground the spark tester, and see if the engine has spark to the plugs when cranking, My guess is that it doesn't. Because these model Honda distributors are prone to failing and then you get no spark.

Edward :

You'll need a spark tester to confirm this. and if the engine does not have any spark, I suspect you'll need a distributor assembly. If the engine does have spark, then I would check fuel pressure, I suspect fuel pressure is low if you have spark.

Edward :

If fuel pressure is low, then I would check/replace the fuel filter first, and then I would replace the fuel pump after verifying if you were getting power to the pump when cranking.

Customer:

ok...I will do all this is the next day. I will have to walk to get these items from auto supply store. I appreciate this..Anything else?

Edward :

I believe you'll find your problem in those steps. If the auto parts store has a fuel pressure gauge you can borrow or rent, I would screw the pressure gauge to the fuel rail near the inejctors, and you can verify 35-45 psi of fuel pressure. If you have fuel pressure, the pump is good.

Customer:

awesome. thank u

Edward :

Alright, thank you.