Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

odyssey: Honda odyssey 2010 – when I accelerate slowly I feel

Honda odyssey 2010 – when I accelerate slowly I feel a vibration (buffeting) between 20 and 30 mph. It only last for a few seconds. This does not happen when accelerating quickly or if I speed up to 20 and ease off the gas pedal slightly. I had a mechanic check it out and he does not feel it is a transmission problem. He thinks it may be caused by the emission control system valves not opening and closing properly at the speed and acceleration as mentioned above. Can any one suggest what might be the cause?

Edward :

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. Let me first ask, Have you ever noticed the check engine light coming on? or have you seen it come on when driving?

Customer:

No

Edward :

Alright, Most likely there are no codes stored then. That in my opinion would mean, that everything to do with the emission system is alright. Because these newer Honda's are pretty sensitive when it comes to setting off the check engine light if there is a fault code stored.

Edward :

If you are just cruising at 25 mph, on level ground, or slightly downhill, with your foot off the gas pedal, you don't feel it? It's just under a slight acceleration that you feel it?

Customer:

yes. If I am above 30 and slow down unde 20 and then slowly accelerate it may happen again.

Edward :

Alright, I feel this is one of two things,

Customer:

It only seems to happen under slow acceleration

Edward :

It is either a weak or cracked engine or transmission mount,

Edward :

or a defective CV joint. and I would lean towards a defective CV joint, and most likely the drivers side.

Customer:

what is a cv joint..

Edward :

constant velocity joint.

Edward :

It is what runs from the transmission to the front wheels, to transmit driving power to them.

Edward :

If they get any wear in them, they will give you that vibration under acceleration.

Customer:

this van has 32000 miles. would it wear this quickly

Edward :

Not usually. But, I've seen them wear out before then.

Edward :

I don't believe the vibration is being caused by anything in the engine, If it was, it would set off a check engine light in my opinion,

Edward :

because that would be associated with a misfire, or a poor running condition.

Edward :

Just to double check, I would rotate the tires first, see if it made any difference at all.

Edward :

and have the technician check the tires for wear to make sure the alignment isn't off any. and if that checks out and rotating the tires makes no difference, then I would have the engine and transmission mounts looked at for any signs of wear or cracking, and if they were fine, I suspect the CV joint as the culprit.

Customer:

ok. this is what I will ask the dealer to look for. I a do not want anyone suggesting transmission until other possiblites are eliminated

Edward :

You have a 5/60 powertrain warranty. and if it is a CV joint, it should be covered.

Edward :

I understand, I do not feel it is in the transmission.

Edward :

It's either a engine mount, or transmission mount, or a worn CV joint in my opinion.

Customer:

ok. thanks. thats about all we can cover at this point