AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist

Honda Fit: I just had the front brake pads and rotors replaced

Customer Question

I just had the front brake pads and rotors replaced on my 2007 Honda Fit on Friday. They also lubricated (or whatever) the back brakes as there is 70% left in them.
On my way home tonight a really bad grinding sound began. Initially I thought something like the muffler was dragging on the ground but everything is fine. You can hear the sound inside and outside the car. It's horrible!!
Could they have done something wrong when my brakes were replaced? Should I attempt to drive it back to the Honda repair shop or have it towed?
Category: Honda
Expert:  AMD replied 9 months ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Honda question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

AMD :

If I may ask, do you hear the grinding noise only when braking? or as soon as the car starts to move?

Customer:

As soon as the car moves, but not when backing up too much, more when you move forward.

AMD :

Hi! How are you doing today?

Customer:

Fine until this evening.

AMD :

I'm sorry to hear that. I will do my best to help. Did you notice if the noise changed pitch when you apply the brakes?

Customer:

It's not so much when applying the break but when the vehicle moves forward.

AMD :

OK Was this a Honda dealership that did the work?

Customer:

Yes

AMD :

OK Thank you. I think something might have went wrong in the repair, Sometimes the rear brakes accumulate rust on them and when disturbed this rust would come loose and start basically grinding and making that noise. Of course this is NOT normal and shouldn't happen right after they cleaned and lubricated the rear brakes. However this is just an assumption from my end from experience. The car will need to go back to that dealership and they need to double check their work and fix the issue. There should be no extra charges to you at all, Make sure they don't charge you ANYTHING for this because they screwed something up and although things do happen but they shouldn't charge you for it.

AMD :

Having talked about this, let's talk if it's safe to drive the car to the dealership, How far is the dealership from your residence?

Customer:

It's approx a 10-15 minute drive on a 100km an hour road.

Customer:

Through morning traffic which can be rough

AMD :

OK I don't like the 100km an hour road drive. Here's what I suggest you do. Call the dealership tomorrow morning, Explain to them the issue and that you've just had your brakes done and now there's a very loud grinding noise, Have them make the decision to drive the car there or tow it. Express to them that the drive to them is at high speed and also through traffic. If they say to tow the vehicle make sure that you make it clear that they are taking care of the tow expense because that is the right thing.

AMD :

If it was a 10-15 minute drive through normal streets then I would say it's OK to drive it, but at 100 km an hour I would be skeptical to tell you it's OK to drive it. If there's an alternative route that you could take that would require slower speeds even if it's longer that would be better.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

The only other route is through a major construction zone, which is slow but also filled with bumps. I'll call them at 7am and have it towed...at their expense.

Customer:

Thank you! I appreciate that this service is even available.

AMD :

I think having it towed is best because we don't know exactly what's wrong and when it comes to brakes it's a major safety concern. I would be more at ease telling you it's best to tow it.

AMD :

I'm glad I could help and you're welcome :-)

AMD :

A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com

AMD, Master Technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist