HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

Civic Hybrid: I just had a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid battery

I just had a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid battery pack apart. There was a wire that had been cut (and taped) that used to connect to the temp sensor strip. Does anyone have the service bulletin that explains why this wire was cut and what this is supposed to do for the system?
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 10 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The TSB below identify the cut wire, I will search back to see if I can find the TSB directing the wire to be cut.

Click here

Give me a few minutes please

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi George:

I have the bulletin that you are referring. I'm interesting in finding the service bulletin on why the wire was cut and if the software update that is mentioned in Bulletin 12-048 is there for the battery controller to ignore the temperature sensors.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, George!

OK, give me a few minutes to go through them and I will post back

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, George!

OK, no need to reply until I post back, it locks my screen to your question.

Thanks

Sorry but that is the only TSB I find on the wire and nothing describing a re flash to ignore the temp. I am going to OPT OUT and maybe one of the other techs will be able to supply the info you need.

Sorry I could not help

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK....thanks for your help, George!

Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 10 months ago.
Hi I'm Tom did you still need assistance ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes
That wire should not have been cut and there is no bulletin on this issue . Was the IMA battery changed on this vehicle ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Tom: The wire was cut and Honda service bulletin 12-048 states not to attach it to the temp sensor circuit. I'm assuming since they know about it that there was a reason that the wires were cut. There was also a software change to the battery controller.....I'm assuming this software change was for the controller to ignore the temp sensors.

Please let me know if you can help me more clearly understand why the wire was cut and more about the software change associated with it.

Mark

Here's the bulletin hope this helps you understand better .ClickHereThe wire does not get attached as it shorts out the board and yes the software update bypasses that wire and allows the temp sensor to work correctly . Hoped this helped.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi:

I have the 12-048 bulletin that you cite. Is there information anywhere that would indicate if Honda no longer used the battery stick temp sensor inputs by using a software calibration??

Thanks, Mark

Yes they disconnect that due to it shorting out the board. You can contact Honda corperate and they can send you documentation on this issue as well. There number is XXXXX Hoped this helped . Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks . Bonuses greatly appreciated.
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level