HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

HELLO AGAIN I HAVE A 1999 HONDA CR-V WITH THE FOLLOWING CODES

Customer Question

HELLO AGAIN I HAVE A 1999 HONDA CR-V WITH THE FOLLOWING CODES P0301--P0302 -- P0303 -- P0304 AND P0300 ALL ARE CYL MISFIRE WITH P0300 BEING MULPT CYL MISSFIRE CUSTOMER HAD THE FOLLOWING DONE NEW DISTRIBUTOR COMPLETE UNIT NOT JUST CAP AND ROTOR NEW PLUGS NEW WIRES NEW FUEL FILTER VEHICLE IDLES FINE BUT UNDER A LOAD MISSFIRES LIKE CRAZY NO POWER FEELS LIKE ITS RUNNING ON 2 CYL PLUGS SEEM VERY DRY TIMING SEEMS TO BE ON WHEN PISTON IS UP ROTOR IS ON #1 CYL FIRST PISTON IN THE FT OF THE MOTOR THAT IS THERE ARE NO VACOME LEAKS TRIED TO SPRAY AROUND THE INTAKE --- PLEASE HELP GOING NUTS ON THIS ONE THANKS AGAIN DOM1026
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im TOM AND Im here to assist you with your issue.There are two very common issues with this vehicle.First the exhaust valves are known to become excessively tight and cause this misfire issue and honestly these are known to burn up valves and the heads need replacing a simple compression test can show this .As log as timing is dead on these need to be checked for this issue.These are the next steps.If you could a good rating would be appreciated so I can credit for my help thanks.Im here if you need any further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HELLO TOM VEHICLE HAS 178000 MI ON THE CLOCK AND STILL HAS 170 --180 LBS OF COMPRESSION DOESNT SOUND LIKE A COMPRESSION ISSUE OR TIGHT VALVES VEHICLE REVS WELL IN NEUTRAL BUT TRY AND POWER BRAKE IT AND IT ONLY SEEMS TO RUN ON THANKS AGAIN DOM1026

Trust me check those valves first if not then its would be the torque converter locking up these would be the next steps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tom -- take your word for it I know the valves are not burned when you say tight exhust are you telling me that they are adjustable and that's wht is needed to repair ythis problem or is the stem of the valve to tight in the guide and causeing a binding condition also if its only an adjustment what are you setting the lash at thanks again for your help and patience im not sure about the torque converter issue ill worry about that later

Yes you need to adjust the valves to factory specs when cold this should fix your issue if there is an issue with the torque converter .Heres the specs .003 - 00.5in and exhaust .006 - .008in. Also here is the bulletin.
ClickHere
Hoped this helped .Please rate excellent service thanks.
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello again I adjusted the valves as you said to begin with they were not very far out -- I have an even 180+ pounds of compression vehicle idles
very smooth it only brakes up or misses under a load any suggestions

Was a Honda distributor complete used ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tom im still having this issue with the engine miss fire under a load let me tell you what I did so far the distributor is a second one from auto zone I changed the timing belt I changed the crank sensor I did a noid test on the injectors as well as a pulse test all good ck for vacune leak ok fuel pressure is 60 lbs with vacume off compression is even all accross

Are you positive timing is dead on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tom ill ck it again because it gave me fits lineing up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

plat all the marks seem to be across except the dist.the rotor is definitely past the # 1 wire is this the norm

No sounds like the cams are off was this checked .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

plat just wanted to touch base on the crv --I completely exhausted every possibility on why this car was missing I checked all the cam and dist, itming 3 times I began to do another compressios test when I noticed that the plugs looked to be very dry on the electrode I did a noid test it was ok I did a pulse light test ( new machine) it was ok -- I took a chance and went to theyard picked up a frame rail with all inj. and regulators attached cleaned it up installed it and wella car ran like a fine watch no miss plenty of power with a perfect idle wanted to let you know incase you run into this some time --- thanks for all your help be well dom1026

a

Anytime good find glad it's fixed. I'm here if you ever need me.