Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

06 honda pilot...was broken into drivers door glass broken

Customer Question

06 honda pilot...was broken into drivers door glass broken .. lock works handles work... door wont open because lock mechanism wont release....any tricks to open the door to repair or replace latch assy.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

1) Sorry for the long delay.

2) First off I am checking to see if you have already resolved your concern.

3) If you do still need help, if there is anything more you think would help me answer your question, please reply with that info.

4) If you happened to leave off the year make and model and engine liter size or any stored trouble codes or anything you have done so far, please include that information in your next reply.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass. I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I work on this site only in the evening hours 7 days a week. I am online normally from 3-midnight. Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

Chris

>

>

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I believe the problem is glass shards in the latch mechanism....we need to destroy the panel or drill through to release or what ever it takes to further the repairs....all rods are connected lock motor works I can see the lock move in the latch....but it will not move far enough to release the latch .... where to drill or how to release it ....we will repair what ever damage occurs....Mike..as always I appreciate the in put right or not....I have not had this much difficulty before....with ...any door

Since you do have access inside the door to the latch you need to use a air powered die grinder the cut the latch into. This will cause it to break loose allowing you to then be able to get the door open so you can replace the latch and glass.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am not yet into the door....panel wont come off because of excessive lip to door jamb.....may need to destroy interior panel first....and yes cutting latch will be necessary to get door open unless there is another way to release it....thank you...anymore ideas would be appreciated....and yes you will get paid right or wrong....I appreciate the input....Mike

Sorry I misunderstood. We should be able to get the panel off which is a must. Lets remove the drivers seat floor bolts and get the seat moved back first off. Then follow the below removal steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/06pilotdoortrim.pdf

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Have all that info .. thank you though ... I was hoping for an easier solution....but I will proceed...Note this panel extends well beyond the door lip....and will be very difficult to remove with out breakage....but that is what it takes....

I know its not easy but you have to try before cutting the door panel apart resulting in more expense.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I will give you an up date some time after Tuesday...thank you....we will settle up then....have a good Labor Day .....

Sounds. heading o the creek for some swimming bonfire and hot dogs. Rednecking up my sons on this Labor day.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Happy Labor Day....Enjoy those kids it goes way too fast....

Thanks
Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris
.
.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank You....I have 45 Years in this business...I was basically looking for a simpler way....I do not always have all the answers....I knew what we had to do....sometimes we learn a trick or two...which I was hoping for, not really expecting. I appreciate your assistance and follow up. Professionalism....MIKE

Your welcome
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Panel Cracked right at the Lock slide port....after that it was easy....found the trigger point, door opened, the rest is history.... I now have a much faster way to open these doors in my personal library... Thank You for at least responding. AND YES you should get paid!

Thanks for the update