jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED 32 YRS EXPERIENCE
8668911

Accord: I have a 1998 Honda Accord. The brakes and front end

I have a 1998 Honda Accord. The brakes and front end were recently checked by a mechanic and said to be fine. However, when I apply the brakes, I sometimes hear a clacking sound from the front of the vehicle. It is not loud and I don't hear it if there is alot of road noise. I hear it best if the car is moving slowly or if the drivers window is open and the car is passing a retaining wall that bounces the sound back to me. The clacking sound is only heard when the brakes are first applied. The brakes feel fine and stop the car easily.
Category: Honda
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you ..

I would remove the front pads and clean out any rust or dirt on the caliper housing ,where the brakes sit ,apply a small amount of grease to the caliper surfaces and then take it for a ride ,it may be that the brake pad rubs for a short time after appling the brakes before it moves away from the rotor ...jazzmaster ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The noise is heard as I am applying the brakes, not releasing them. Are you saying that the brake pad is not getting a smooth contact as they engage?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

the same thing applies here if one pad is not working (that is not going into place all the way or a little cocked) then it will make a noise ,the pads are so exposed to the elements and dirt,dust ,etc.

cleaning the caliper housing where the pads ride and also the surfaces on the pads where they make contact on the caliper and applying a small amount of grease on the caliper housing will go a long way to help this issue ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have heard that grease will decay the brake hoses. Is there a particular type/brand of grease that you recommend?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

yes, but you are not applying that much to the caliper housing to even spatter over anything else ..

I usually use brake pad lube,these can be found at most auto parts stores

and make sure you clean any rust,dirt etc from the caliper housing where the pads sit ...jazzmaster ...

jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: ASE CERTIFIED 32 YRS EXPERIENCE