HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Honda Accord: i was reinstalling the main relay into its holder

i was reinstalling the main relay into its holder and it shorted out causing the engine to die what is the solution
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX the relay removed, do you have power on 2 of the terminals, with the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am not at the vehicle location at this time

when can you be at the vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tomorrow

I will be on all day tomorrow, hit me uo when you are at the vehicle and I will help yo diagnose this, Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i replaced fuel pump last week and new/ used ignition position contacts i also used starter fluid and it starts and runs until the vapor is used and then dies

ok, we need to see if you have power on 2 terminals of the relay, can you do this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will tomorrow but i will not have computer access is it possible to communicate via phone tomorrow

we cannot communicate by anything but this forum, can you get on tommarrow?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it will be in and out , on which 2 pins on the relay should i first check

check them all, 2 should have power when the key is on, if not, then check all the fuses in both fuse boxes, let me know tommarrow what you find,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

checked all fuses in both places . what reading should i recieve from each pin on the relay to ground?

Pins 5 and 7 shoulf have 12 volts with the key on, do they?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pin 1 =12.05

pin 3= .3

pin 5= 11.9

pin 7= .5

pin 2= 3.9

pin 6= .2

pin 8= .2

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

need help with my honda

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pin #1 =12.05

Pin #3 = .3

Pin #5 =11.9

Pin #7 = .5

Pin #2 =3.9

Pin #6 = .2

Pin#8 = >2

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
unavailability
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pin 1= 12.05v

Pin 3=.3v

Pin 5= 11.9v

Pin 7=.5v

Pin 2=3.9v

Pin 6=.2v

Pin 8=.2v

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
need more details
Different expert here.Hi I’m Tom and I’m here to assist you with your issue today. Before I get you a fully researched answer, I have to ask you a couple preliminary questions.What would you actually like to know I would be glad to help.How was the relay shorted out?HAve you checked all fuses?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i have checked all fuses in both fuse boxes that could potentially be linked to this issue

Ok then unfortunately there is a very good chance you shorted out the ECU has this been checked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no how is this done

OK its located under the passenger side carpet and it has to usually be sent out for repair to see if its shorted out.But you can remove the ECU and open it up yourself and with a bright light you will see and most likely smell the electrical smell of a shorted circuit board.The good news its about 100 dollars from a salvage yard or ebay and does not need to be programmed to the vehicle just get the same year and model and it will work fine.This is the next steps as I have seen this a few times when the main relay is shorted out when its connected to the vehicle harness.The only other issue can be a shorted under dash fuse box but the fuse would usually blow .If all under dash fuses and under hood fuses are good including the main fuses under hood that are held in with screws this is the next step.Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know it will be for no further charge. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will check the ecu . which unit is it under the carpet mounted to the plate on the passenger floor board?

Yes the larger unit mounted to the plate on the passenger floor.Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know it will be for no further charge. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

which other years are compatible with this vehicle 1996 honda accord lx/ex

Just 1996 and 1997 are the same. Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance assistance just let me know it will be for no further charge. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level