Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

Honda Civic: 98 Civic HX, 119K, last service was 90k (Valves

98 Civic HX, 119K, last service was 90k (Valves re-set). Planning to go with new timing belt, again re set the valves. Do I need to go with new water pump? never had a problem. From what I have read sounds like several new seals and bearings are needed while motors is open and that Coolant and XMNS fluid changes would also be in order. Ball park on cost? Plus I think the starter went out today, will check battery and connections tonight.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

According to the Honda Normal Service Schedule, the Timing Belt should be replaced at intervals of every 105,000 miles. When replacing the Belt, it is recommended that the Water Pump be replaced at that time. Although the Water Pumps are fairly solid on these engines, this is a "better safe than sorry" repair. If the pump is to let go after the belt repalcement, the Coolant will damage the belt, and you'll need to re-pay for the Timing Belt job all over again. Having the Timing Belt replaced at the recommended intervals is a very good preventative maintenance idea. If this belt is ro break while the engine is "under load" (highway speeds, uphill, etc) there is a strong chance that internal engine damage can be done. As for the price- the Belt sells for around $50 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 2.7 hours to complete the job. If you do opt for the Water Pump replacement at this time, it sells for around $105 and you'll need to add another half-hour or so to the Labor Time. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Shop around, and find a reputable shop that warranty their parts and labor.

As for the Coolant and Transmission fluid- the Coolant is recommended to be replaced at intervals of every 45,000 miles and the Transmission at every 60,000. So if these haven't been done yet, it may be a very good idea. Keep in mind, the correct transmission fluid is very importnant! Use of any other fluid or "universal" fluid will harm the system!

If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to RATE YOUR Q&A EXPERIENCE TODAY! Your input is very important to us! Please make sure to leave a RATING! Thank-You!

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm always happy to answer follow-up questions!

Hello again! Ron Z here.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Confused by my info request or answer?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?
~ Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

Thanks,
-Ron Z
Your input is very important to us! Please make sure to leave a RATING! Thank-You!