jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech

Engine died while driving in rain. Radio turned off first. Battery comes on. What is the p

Engine died while driving in rain. Radio turned off first. Battery comes on. What is the problem? Radio doesn't come on either.

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you ..

have you had the battery tested and charging system ?

have you tried to charge the battery or jump start the car ? ..jazzmaster..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't had the battery tested and haven't tried to jump start the car since the electrical seems to work except radio. I'm guessing i should try it anyhow?

the battery needs to be charged to check it right .

then with the battery being charged up drive to an auto parts store and have them test the battery and charging system out .

chances are the alternator is bad and not charging right ,but you need to get that checked out.

as far as the radio not working ,I would check all the fuses in the car and under the hood just in case a fuse is bad ,a bad alternator can send a spike and pop a fuse ..

jazzmaster ...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not with the car at the moment, but are you saying i might be able to start the engine by charging the battery? I thought i'd need to get it towed because i didn't think jump starting the car would do anything to help the engine turn on. Driving it to an autoparts store is probably not possible.

well ,you can try jump starting the car but you need to leave the cables attached for at least 15-30 minutes to charge the battery up a little ,if the charging system isnt up to par you may need to charge the battery more .

if you take the battery to get checked ,they will charge it anyways before testing it .

the battery has a reserve in it and will have a little charge in it to work the lights and such ,but needs to be fully charged to be tested .if you take out the battery and charge it yourself and then put it in the car then see if it starts .

if you have a volt tester or know someone who does ,then test the charging system yourself ,you will want to see a charging voltage of at least 31.5 volts ...jazzmaster ..