Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Honda civic: my 2002 honda civic just stopped running as I

my 2002 honda civic just stopped running as I was driving, I mean it just shut down. The gages were jumping all over and the lights were working but nothing else. I jumped it and it did start, drove it home then shut it down where again clicking of gages. I tried to start it and no sound was made al all. I had just gotten gas if that helps
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. While driving did you notice a battery warning light on dash? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no nothing turned on, it did do a "hiccup" at a light where all power seemed to go down for literally a second but that is it until it completely shut down It shut down while I was standing waiting

Have you tried to do another jump start since you have been home? Are you trying to fix yourself or just get an idea of what the problem might be? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have not tried a jump because I have no one to jump me and HELL NO taking it to someone.

Thank you

Based on the symptoms it sounds like the alternator has probably failed, it is a little strange that the battery warning light didn't come on but since vehicle was able to start with a jump I do not see any other possible options. The only way to know what the problem is for sure is to do some testing. The alternator is about a $400 job to have done at a shop depending on where you go. The only other thing that comes to mind is possible ignition switch or wiring which would be about in the same price range. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else at all I can do to help. Thanks Carolyn.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How is it that it just stops working when it was running? What would cause that? Would having just gotten gas been a cause?

Usually when they fail its a random thing while it is running and just due to age. Getting the gas would not cause the alternator to fail or cause vehicle to stop running in any other way that would require a jump start so in my opinion that is coincidence also. It does not sound like anything serious but will not be as easy as replacing a fuse either. Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks.