Jim
Jim, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  18 yr honda tech, 30 yr experience, 13 ase master tech
54429526

Civic Hybrid: Have an 2006 Civic hybrid...local dealer does

Have an 2006 Civic hybrid...local dealer does its service.... Stopped at stop sign cvt would not engauage again. OBDii scanner reads P0 716 twice...would the input shaft sensor circuit cause the cvt to shut down or is the cvt dead at 130000 miles?

jimhondatech :

hi this is jim, i'm here to help you out, you are correct, it is for the speed sensor, i have put a few of these sensors in, the repair takes about an hour and the sensor is about 100.00, when this sensor goes out the cvt doesn't know how fast things are spinning and it will go into limp in mode and barely move, this is normal, any questions just ask

jimhondatech :

if the cvt was shot there would be more trouble codes leading to an internal failure

Customer:

my code reader said 2 codes were triped P0 716 and P0 716 pd thats it now the code reader is a Actron PocketScan Plus ... would it be missing any other codes do you think?

jimhondatech :

no, the cvt trans computer is very smart and will know if there are any other issues, there are close to 50 trans related codes

Customer:

I guess what I am asking is my code reader should be able to read what the trans computer is spitting out in codes and is not missing any tripped codes, right?

jimhondatech :

correct, all the trans codes start with p07__

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the hard work, we have only one Honda Dealer in town and that is the one that told me my cvt is out, and that it was the end of the month......My wife and I were strolling through the new cars while we waited for the tow truck to bring the civic...what a mistake. Do you thing a regular trans shop could fix this?

jimhondatech :

yes any good tech can replace the sensor it is under the aircleaner right on top of the trans, check for a quality import repair shop, that does the japenese cars

jimhondatech :

i have to go on a test drive right now, be back in 10 mins, thanks for your patience

Customer:

Thanks