Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

I just got news that the engine block of my Honda Civic 2006

Customer Question

I just got news that the engine block of my Honda Civic 2006 has cracked. We have had no problems with this car and this comes as a complete surprise.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

how and why did you find the crack?

tims auto repair :

what was going on?

Customer:

I noticed the smell of coolant and there was some coolant on the driveway.

tims auto repair :

i see

tims auto repair :

did the car ever get really hot?

Customer:

There was also some steaming. It did not appear to be hot.

tims auto repair :

did you buy the car new/

Customer:

Yes. In Aug 2006.

tims auto repair :

have you ever had any overheating problems?

Customer:

No.

tims auto repair :

who said the block was cracked?

Customer:

A mechanic shop here in Idaho Falls, Idaho. They are a reputable business and have worked on my cars. I normally take the civic to the dealer for periodic servicing since I bought it.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

well,,there isnt much you can do if the engine is cracked

tims auto repair :

you do need to make sure this is the problem...it isnt a likley thing to happen

Customer:

I noticed there have been similar complaints and that Honda has a warranty on thiks.

tims auto repair :

stand by

tims auto repair :

let me search something

tims auto repair :

what engine do you have?

Customer:

I really don't know. What types are there for that year? I may recognize it if told the types.

Customer:

Would the VIN tell us?

Customer:

Engine type: 1.8L 4-cyl SOHC (MFI) -- whatever that means

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

stand by

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

i have found the tsb

Customer:

what is a tsb

Customer:

as you can tell I'm not a mechanic

tims auto repair :

tech service bulletin

tims auto repair :

10-048

June 17, 2011

Applies To:
See VEHICLES AFFECTED

Warranty Extension: Engine Block

(Supersedes 10-048, dated December23, 2010, to revise the information marked by the black bars and asterisks)

REVISION SUMMARY

*Under PARTS INFORMATION, the cylinder head gasket kit part number was changed.*

BACKGROUND

On some 2006-08 and early production 2009 Civics, the engine (cylinder) block may experience engine coolant leaks, resulting in engine overheating. To increase customer confidence, American Honda is extending the warranty of the engine block to 8 years from the original date of purchase, with no mileage limit.

The warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded, or similar title under any states law. To check for vehicle eligibility, you must do a VIN status inquiry.

37_10-048110617-001a.jpg
Full Size Image

VEHICLES AFFECTED

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

43_10-048110617-005.jpg
Full Size Image

All owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this warranty extension. An example of the customer notification is at the end of this service bulletin.

Before beginning work on a vehicle, verify its eligibility by doing a VIN status inquiry and by making sure the customer has a notification letter.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

If confirmed by your diagnosis, install a new engine block.

38_10-048110617-001b.jpg
Full Size Image

39_10-048110617-002a.jpg
Full Size Image

PARTS INFORMATION

40_10-048110617-002b.jpg
Full Size Image

REQUIRED MATERIALS

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

If you are repairing an engine block because of coolant leaking from the block or engine overheating relating to coolant seepage, and the vehicle is within the warranty extension period, 8 years from the original date of purchase and no mileage limit, use the information below to submit a claim.

Operation Number: 1111P8

Flat Rate Time: 12.4 hours

Failed Part: P/N 10002-RNA-AOO

Defect Code: 5E200

Symptom Code: R4300

Skill Level: Repair Technician

DIAGNOSIS

Look for coolant leaking from cracks in the block at the points shown below. On the back side of the engine, remove the oil/air separator cover so you can check beneath it. Pressure4est the cooling system if needed.

41_10-048110617-003.jpg
Full Size Image

Is the block leaking coolant in any of the areas shown?

Yes - Go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.

No - Continue with normal troubleshooting.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Remove the engine and transmission assembly:

^ Refer to page 5-3 of the 2006-2011 Civic Service Manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords ENGINE REMOVAL, and select Engine Removal (R18A1 Engine) from the list.

2. Remove the ignition coils:

^ Refer to page 4-28 of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords IGNITION COIL, and select Ignition Coil Removal/Installation (R18A1 and R18A4 Engine) from the list.

3. Inspect the ignition coils for lengthening due to overheating.

42_10-048110617-004.jpg
Full Size Image

Is there a gap in the insulation greater than 1 mm (0.04 inch)?

Yes - Replace the affected coil(s).

No - Re-use the original coil(s).

4. Remove the cylinder head:

^ Refer to page 6-28 of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords HEAD REMOVE, and select Cylinder Head Removal (R18A1 Engine) from the list.

5. Inspect the cylinder head:

^ Refer to steps 2 and 3 on page 6-33 of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords HEAD INSPECT, and select Cylinder Head Inspection for Warpage (R18A1 and R18A4 Engine) from the list, and do steps 2 and 3.

6. Remove the engine oil pump, and set it aside for use later:

^ Refer to page 8-15 of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords OIL PUMP, and select Oil Pump Overhaul from the list.

7. M/T only: Remove the M/T from the engine:

^ Refer to page 13-92, beginning with step 31, of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords TRANS REMOVAL, and select Manual Transmission Removal (5M/T) from the list.

8. A/T only: Remove the A/T from the engine:

^ Refer to page 14-181, beginning with step 7, of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords TRANS REMOVAL, and select Automatic Transmission Removal (A/T) from the list.

9. Install the original oil pump on the new engine block assembly with new 0-rings and a new seal.

NOTE:
Refer to Install Crankshaft Pulley Correctly to Prevent Oil Pump Damage," ServiceNews, December 2007.

10. Install the original cylinder head on the new engine block assembly:

NOTE:
Be sure to install the partition plate (coolant separator) before installing the cylinder head.

^ Refer to page 6-48 of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords HEAD INSTALL, and select Cylinder Head Installation (R18A1 Engine) from the list.

11. M/T only: Install the new crankshaft pilot bearing, and the original flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate onto the engine:

^ Refer to page 12-18 of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keyword CLUTCH, and select Clutch Replacement (5M/T) from the list.

12. M/T only: Install the M/T onto the engine:

^ Refer to page 13-16 of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords TRANS INSTALLATION, and select Manual Transmission Installation (5M/T) from the list.

13. A/T only: Install the original drive plate onto the engine:

^ Refer to page 14-189, beginning with step 3, of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords AUTO TRANS, select Drive Plate Removal and Installation from the list, and begin at step 3.

14. A/T only: Install the A/T onto the engine:

^ Refer to page 14-190, beginning with step 3, of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords TRANS INSTALLATION, select Automatic Transmission Installation (A/T) from the list, and begin at step 3.

15. Install the engine and transmission assembly into the vehicle:

^ Refer to page 5-13 of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords ENGINE INSTALL, and select Engine Installation (RI 8A1 Engine) from the list.

^ To avoid electrical problems, make sure that the ground wire connection G101 (Photo 29 ETM) is clean and tight.

^ To avoid coolant mixing in the gas tank, make sure you do not confuse the canister purge line with the coolant bypass hose.

16. To avoid false misfire detection, do the crank (CKP) pattern clear and CKP pattern learn procedures:

^ Refer to page 11-4 of the service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords HOW TO
TROUBLESHOOT FUEL, and select How to
Troubleshoot Fuel and Emissions Systems
(R18A1 Engine, A/T), or (R18A1 Engine, M/T)
from the list.

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

Does this mean there is a warranty?

tims auto repair :

you need to contact your dealer with this bulletin #

10-048

tims auto repair :

it may be covered

Customer:

Thanks much for your help. It has made the day a lot brighter.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.