AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
65953032

Odyssey: I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The check engine light

I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The check engine light came on, but the car is running great, oil and fluids up to date. How can I resolved this issue of this light coming on?
Category: Honda
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Honda question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question in further detail at this time?

AMD :

Thank you

Customer:

yes

AMD :

Hi how are you doing today?

Customer:

OK, except for this little problem

AMD :

Don't worry about the problem! We'll do our best to resolve it for you. Now after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, Is the light still on after starting the car?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

OK. When you disconnected the battery then turned the car on, did it come back immediately? or it took some time to come back?

Customer:

it came on imediately

AMD :

Thank you. Now when the check engine light comes on typically the on board computer have detected a malfunction and stored a trouble code. The issue could be so many things we wouldn't know for sure unless we have the trouble codes. If you live outside the state of california you could stop by your local auto zone and ask them for a free code scan, Get these codes and get back to me and I'll be able to narrow down the problem and give you an idea of the issue and possible solutions. Does this sound like something we can do?

Customer:

I live in California

AMD :

OK The issue is that in the state of california parts stores are not allowed to scan vehicles for codes. Do you know anyone who have access to a computer code reader?

Customer:

I actually have a CarMD. Will this do the job?

AMD :

I am not very familiar with that particular product however we can give it a try, Let me research for a few moments if it has the capability to pull codes and does what we need.

AMD :

Hold on

AMD :

OK I think it will do the trick here.

AMD :

Connect the CarMD and retrieve the codes. Typically the codes will be the letter P followed by 4 numbers.

AMD :

Make sure that key is in the on position and connect your car MD and write down the codes.

AMD :

Don't listen to what car MD says just get the codes and we'll go from there.

Customer:

Will do, may take a little time.

AMD :

Take your time I will wait.

Customer:

The CarMD gave out a code:

AMD :

What is the code?

Customer:

06-01

AMD :

OK That is not a valid code I'm afraid. Did you see a code that starts with the letter P?

Customer:

no. I think I might need to connect it to my computer to find out any further data

AMD :

OK Try to connect it to your computer. Most likely it will come up with it's own diagnosis but we are more interested in codes. Codes start with the letter P and followed by 4 numbers.

AMD :

Like P0138

Customer:

I will try this....will take a few moments.

AMD :

Take your time.

Customer:

Here is what the device said and what the people at CarMD said:

Customer:

CarMD recommends that you drive the vehicle for a few days and run a test again to see if you get a Green LED result.

AMD :

Did you generate a report? Did it tell you at the top the error code?

AMD :

OK sorry i'm trying to figure out how carmd website works from far away. When you open the software click my diagnosis and at the top it will have error code.

Customer:

it did not. It said that "my vehicle may be reporting an intermittent problem (secondary code), which it is currently monitoring.

AMD :

When you open it, did you have a tab called my diagnosis?

Customer:

I think I need to run it again, will take a few more minutes. That OK?

AMD :

Of course take your time! I will wait.

Customer:

I'm having some issues with this right now, and with the sun going down I don't think I can get these readings today. I will have to try again tomorrow. Sorry, but you've done a great job, sorry I wasn't of much help today.

AMD :

Don't say that I think you did a wonderful job! I'm trying to have you do a professional job with a non-professional job so I think you are doing a wonderful job already! I appreciate your patience. Get back to me tomorrow and we'll pick up where we left off, Did you have any other questions for me now?

AMD, Master Technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tim,

I wanted to follow up with you to ask if you had a chance to get the codes from the vehicle so I can help pin point what's going on with the vehicle.

Thank you.

-AMD